Chapter 7: Motherly

Emily and Maisy slept peacefully the entire night. JJ, on the other hand, woke up several times to check on the little girl.

Around 6:30am, Emily woke up to find JJ awake texting someone.
"Good morning" Emily said.

"Hi" JJ whispered as Maisy shifted on the bed.

"Any news?" Emily asked.

"They spent the night looking but..." JJ said and shook her head.

Emily noticed JJ had bags under her eyes. "Did you sleep?"

"Yeah" JJ said as if she was stating the obvious.

"J" Emily said raising her eyebrows.

"I woke up a few times to make sure she wasn't crying" JJ said looking at Maisy.

"You look exhausted" Emily said. "Try to sleep some more. I'll be here"

Jennifer gave Emily a small smile and laid back down. She couldn't deny, she was really tired.
Maisy shifted again and hid on JJ's belly. JJ smiled, wrapped the girl in her arms and closed her eyes.

CMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCM

Maisy woke up at 7:34 to find Emily sitting on the table in the corner working and JJ asleep next to her.

"Hi" Emily smiled when she saw the girl awake. Maisy rubbed her eyes. "Are you hungry?" Emily asked and Maisy shook her head. "Are you sure?" She asked and Maisy hid on JJ again.
Emily walked to the bed and sat next to the girl.
"I was thinking about eating pancakes, would you like some?" Emily asked softly.
Maisy looked at her again and gave her a small nod. She loved pancakes, she couldn't say no to that.

"Alright." Emily smiled. "What do you want to drink? Apple juice?" Emily asked and Maisy nodded. Emily saw she didn't really seem to want that. "Do you want something else? You can tell me" Emily said.

"Milk" Maisy whispered.

"Chocolate or plain?" Emily asked.

"Just milk" Maisy said.

"Okay" Emily smiled and went to the phone. She ordered their food and sat back on the table. "Do you want to watch tv?" Emily asked. Maisy shook her head no and pointed at JJ. She didn't want to wake her up.
Emily smiled and asked "do you like to draw?"

Maisy nodded.

"You can seat here with me and draw" Emily said. Maisy thought for a bit and then went to the table. Emily helped her sit and then handed her a few blank pages and a tiny box of crayons.
Maisy started drawing and Emily went back to working as JJ slept peacefully on the bed.

Maisy drew a house and was drawing a big yellow sun when Emily said "that's very pretty Maisy". The girl smiled and said "thank you"

"Is that your house?" Emily asked and Maisy shook her head no.
"Who lives there then?"

"I don't know" Maisy shrugged. Emily smiled and there was a knock on the door. Maisy slid under the table scared.

"It's okay it's just our breakfast" Emily said. "You can come out honey" she said handing out a hand. Maisy took it and Emily sat her down on the chair. Emily opened the door and the woman pulled their dinner tray out and the breakfast one in.

JJ woke up and smiled to see Maisy drawing on the table.

"Have a nice breakfast" the hotel lady said and left. Emily closed the door and saw JJ awake.

"Sorry we woke you" Emily said.

"That's okay. Did I hear breakfast?" JJ asked and Emily and Maisy smiled.

"You can eat with me" Maisy said alsmot a whisper.

"You want to share your pancakes?" JJ asked as she walked to the table.

"I don't mind" Maisy said with a little smile. JJ smiled back and sat with them to eat.

Breakfast went okay, they ate and talked about Maisy's drawing. Then they watched some tv. Around 10, Hotch called to let them know they had a new lead and asked them to work on something for him so the women let Maisy watch tv on the bed and sat at the table working.
Two hours later Maisy was fast asleep on the bed.

"We need to get her some clothes" JJ said. "She can't keep wearing my ginormous pajamas" she laughed.

"I can go get her a few things and also lunch for us" Emily suggested.

"That'd be great. I'm starving" JJ smiled.

So Emily went out and JJ watched some tv. She peeked at the little girl on the bed from time to time. She didn't know why but she felt so attached to Maisy. It had never happened before but somehow Maisy had something that deeply connect them.

Emily got back a while later with some food and things for Maisy.

"This is so cute" JJ said taking out a dress from the bag. Emily bought a tooth brush, two leggings, two dresses, two pajamas, some underwear, pink gloves, a pink winter coat and a sparkly pink converse for Maisy.

"I'm not sure that was her size but It was so cute and I think it might fit" she said when JJ took the converse out of the bag.

"Oh my god. Girls are fun to shop to" JJ laughed.

"Yeah. But honestly I never thought I'd buy those shoes... Ever" Emily said and they laughed which made Maisy wake up.

The girl moved on the bed and opened her eyes. She looked a bit scared.
JJ and Emily saw but instead of asking what was wrong, JJ said Emily got her some presents.
Maisy sat up on the bed and smiled the entire time JJ showed her what she got.

"I'm not sure if these will fit you but if they don't I can go back there to get another" Emily said handing the sparkly pink converse.

Maisy's face lit up and Emily and JJ smiled.

"That's for me?" Maisy asked in shock. She never got really pretty shoes like that before.

"Yeah. Try them on" JJ smiled. She helped the girl put it on.

"Do they fit?" Emily asked.

"Yeah they're perfect" JJ smiled as she looked at Maisy's big smile.

Maisy jumped off the bed and hugged Emily's legs. "Thank you" she said.

"You're welcome, sweetheart" Said Emily.