Chapter 6

Oksana woke up about an hour ago and was still lying in bed, staring at one point. Her head was filled with different thoughts, outweighing fragmentary memories of yesterday.

You can stay for a few days ...

Her dirty red hair matted and now looked like a bird's nest. The clothes that she didn't change for several days was wrinkled and smelled thoroughly afterwards.

If you want, I can call your parents ...

She lifted up her right hand. The yesterday's cut was tied with a perfectly clean bandage. She almost didn't feel the pain of the cut.

What happened to your hand?

Oksana slowly sat up on the bed.

Does it hurt? Come, I'll get splinters.

From the other side of the window, she could hear muffled singing of birds.

Well, if you say so... Call me if you won't be able to tie it by yourself, okay?

The girl stood up and quietly crept to the door that was closed from the inside, and listened. Not a single sound was heard by her. Her fingers gently turned the key in the lock until she didn't hear a soft click. She opened the door and put her head in the doorway.

That's her room. There, on the table, there is a key. If you want, you can take it. Just do not lose it - it's in one piece.

The apartment was empty and she hasn't heard the voice of her teacher.

Cahir was silent too.

Carefully, as if fearful animal, Oksana went straight by the corridor until she reached the kitchen. In the apartment had no one in except her. The kitchen was flooded with bright sunlight, illuminating everything, even the smallest details.

Her stomach growled, but Oksana's attention was first gotten by the white as a snow sheet of paper that was lying on a small wooden table. Her dirty, skinny hand reached the paper and held it to her eyes, quickly reading what was written there.

"Good morning!

I hope you slept well. I didn't want to wake you up, as I decided that missing one school day won't make such a big deal - you need some rest. I'll tell your teachers that your mum called me and said that you're sick. Small lies for good deeds.

I could not imagine that I would meet you yesterday, so there isn't that much food in the refrigerator, but I promise to buy something on my way home.

I'll be back late in the evening because I have to finish some stuff in school today need to stay in school. If you get bored there are different books in the closet, an old TV in the living room, and in the closet of my adult daughter there is a whole bunch of different clothes, and I'll be glad if you will choose something for yourself.

When I come we'll have to discuss what to do about your situation.

Don't get bored :).

Your teacher."

Oksana hopelessly sighed and put the sheet back in its place - she didn't like the fact that she will stay that much time in the house of an unknown man, although nothing dangerous was happening yet.

"I wonder what is my mother doing right now?"

***

The idea of cleaning the apartment of Mikhail Viktorovich came spontaneously, immediately after she the place has been inspected. Her stomach rumbled, as in the old Soviet fridge was nothing, but a pair of cracked eggs, spoiled milk, and mouldy bread, so the only thing that Oksana could eat were pickles in a little dusty bank in the corner of the room. After a modest breakfast, the girl decided to take a shower, although she didn't dare to follow the advice of the teacher and wear clothes of his daughter.