Chapter 9

The isolated tiny café lied ahead. It didn't want to make connections with any buildings but desired to create connections within itself. The café's display windows showed off its interior. Huge pots of tropical plants stood next to the door like two bodyguards, and a chalk board at the entrance featuring the daily specials. Its awning was plain blue, fitting the brick walls surrounding it. Two lanterns hanged on the sides of it, adding a classic look to the café.

A man stood next to the café and blew the smoke out of his mouth. Oksana watched the grey mist float in the air, ready to attach itself to every little thing, scared to be blown away and to be forgotten in the breeze. It reminded her of that day, where things seemed to have fallen apart, however, in reality, they were becoming better. She closed her eyes, concentrating on the present rather than the past.

Brushing away the unwanted remains of the past, Oksana was finally ready to step into the heart of the café. The sign, which had a graceful font, made Oksana think a vintage angel, one who lived in the old times - the peaceful ones - had delicately written it.

Small Hut, lived by its name. As the doors swung open, the bell rang, notifying people of the entrant. Some people glanced and others kept their heads hunched, and as a habit, once the door was shut, they returned to their conversation, or to their bitter coffee.

Oksana entered and Mikhail followed her. The smell of rich coffee greeted them, it pervaded every surface. It felt more light-hearted and cozy, and presence of bubbly chats and gleeful chortles made Oksana genuinely smile. Mikhail noticed how her face lit up, and he smiled too, making it a lovely sight.

The biscuit-coloured porcelain with a mottled texture and colour pattern fitted the elegant bronze wallpaper with the design featuring an all over the delicate motif. The cream tables were covered with a milky lace cloth, and above them was an orange rhombus table cloth. In the center of every table, small vases of various colours of carnation flowers stood. The wooden chairs were tucked in neatly, and above every table, a hanging lamp was put.

Mikhail chose a table in the corner of the café, away from people's sight. The corner temporarily protected them from the looks they received, and that made Oksana feel safe.

Oksana looked around, she saw an old woman slowly sipping tea from the mug as her husband looked more interested in the newspaper than his meal. Children chatting with a mouth full of food and friends having a lively conversation. Waiters smartly dressed in black and white were serving people or cleaning the tables. She was in the state of sondering, it opened up many doors of curiosity and thoughts.

A waitress who had a fair flaxen hair, tied into a ponytail, came to Oksana's and Mikhail's table. Her features lightened up and she gave a sweet smile with a hint of shyness. She had a dupe pad in her left hand and a cheap blue ballpoint pen.

"Welcome to Small Hut. My name is Alina, would you like to hear my recommendations?" They nodded and she proceeded. "I would like to recommend strawberry tea," her chocolate eyes were directed at Oksana, "maybe, the princess wants a slice of vanilla cake with that."

Oksana could feel her cheeks getting warmer, she had her head ducked and stared at her floral dress, counted each flower and tried to distract herself from this situation. I'm definitely not a princess, how stupid is that? Oksana chuckled at the thought of being a princess, she imagined her tiara falling apart like most of her life. Where is my Prince Charming?

"Is that how your mum taught you how to view yourself? She did a heck of a great job," Cahir's voice almost made her bounce off the chair. Instead, she gripped into the black padding under her. She stared intensely at the bow that topped her flat shoes, she thought, maybe if she stared hard, the thoughts will come to a halt. And I rewarded her well. Oksana replied to Cahir. She felt victory in the pit of doubt and suspicion.

"Yes please, sweetie." His rich voice hovered over the cheery place and the waitress took an instant liking to it. It was like a storm of gentle murmur, a soft wave over washing the entire place.

The waitress gave them a tender smile and walked away to continue her job. Mikhail excused himself, and Oksana watched him making his way to the bathroom. He is nice. She was surprised Cahir didn't reply to this thought.

Her thoughts went back to the beginning of this morning, remembering how that sudden offer struck her. The thought of going out with a man used to frighten her. If only everybody were angels like Mikhail, then everybody could have had a chance to be happy. Oksana bitterly thought. The hatred for the world welled up inside her heart began to burn alongside the rage that has been quiet for a while now. She wanted a day without chaos, so she extinguished the angry and bitter thoughts.

I wonder where we will go next. Oksana relaxed and allowed her body to slide down on the chair. She began to construct scenarios for the evening ahead of her as she stared at the slow turning ceiling fans above her. The girl also has built a wish well that reside inside her, she decided to reconstruct it by destroying the old hopes which had no aim in them.

"The first penny will be," she spoke in a soft voice, mimicking the tossing coin and pretended to watch it fall inside her inner well, "a new hope for a new life."

She imagined herself standing and watching the penny fall into the famished well. Birds tweeting and a gentle murmur of the swiftly flowing river with the steep bank, sparkling under the sunshine, added life to her imagination. She turned her attention to a figure sitting with butterflies flying around it, the painted creatures seemed to attach themselves to the figure, like a frightened child to its mother.

While she was a bit lost in her inner thought she noticed that Alina carried numerous amounts of plates, trying to balance them. She tried to open the kitchen door but failed miserably. Oksana quickly rose and pulled the door open for her.

"Thank you, dear," she flashed her sweet smile again with a trace of gratitude, after all, that's a part of her job. "Your dad taught you well manners." She walked in carefully and disappeared behind the shut door.

Oksana went back to the table and relaxed her head on the table, covering it with her arm. It didn't bother her that Mikhail was portrayed as her dad, it would make the questions and the judgments less. But what if he could really become her dad, it would fill the missing void in her life and she could finally become normal. She would be able to lead a peaceful life and nobody will ever pick on her. I wish, I really wish. She thought and tossed her second coin.

Oksana's position faced the entrance, and every time a new soul comes looking for comfort in this lonesome café, a train of vague breeze carrying people's worries dies as the door is gradually closing.

But this time, unpleasant spirits entered. Oksana hid her face with the menu, her hands shook while their eyes judged the place. Just as bad as the words they spat out of their vile mouths, their eyes were packed with atrocious judgment. Her heart beat was as loud as a dozen of car horns being honked by impatient drivers.

Fuck off, you assholes. Was her only thought as a natural response to the assholes who call you a psycho because it entrains them. As every second passed, Oksana highly feared that Mikhail will come back at this minute. Now that would be a huge problem. She heard their "constructive criticism" about this cafe and their annoyed sighs. When they left, Oksana took a dip in the feeling of reassurance and relief.

What she hadn't noticed, is that Mikhail already finished his business in the bathroom and that the young waitress was having a pep talk with him. Her eyes widened and then she allowed them to be at ease. She was in the safe zone now.

Mikhail came back and sat in front of her. He apologized for being late and asked her if she is enjoying her time so far. Oksana nodded. She sure enjoyed being unnoticed by her classmates.