Chapter 4

One of the best smells in this world - is the smell of medicines.

If, during the school times you've visited your school nurse fairly often, you'll probably understand what I'm talking about. The more you sniff it - the more you get addicted to it.

Well, the exceptions are mostly the people with hard illnesses, who've been in the hospitals so much that they wish to never feel it again. Luckily, Sasha wasn't one of them.

The young nurse, who finished the University barely a month ago, loved the specific odor and, to be honest, it was actually one of the reasons why she chose that job.

Sounds stupid, I know, but sometimes people's brains play tricks on them and force to make decisions they'll regret about.

Sasha didn't.

"What are you dreaming of? Be quick, you've got work to do." an old nurse came to her from behind and patted Sasha's back.

"I just finished" replied the young woman, glancing behind her shoulder.

Raisa, a sixty-year-old nurse was tall and massive, with a round face that was covered by hundreds of maze-like wrinkles. Her eyes were of a dim greyish green, small, piggy, and rather red round the rims of the eyelids.

The badges on both of their coats had the same sign : "Bulatov Residential Psychiatric Facility", or, easier - BRPF.

A wild, non-human laugh came through the corridors .

Sasha shivered.

"He is troubled today... poor man" sighed Raisa, fixing her hair.

By "poor man" she meant one of the patients, Doran. Sasha was told about him a few weeks ago and, to be honest, she didn't count him as "poor" at all.

The man, together with his wife were abusing their little daughter... for years. But it ended up only when at gynecologist inspection, which showed that kid was raped.

Police, who blamed Doran, affirmed that he is mentally unstable.

Sasha was shocked when one of the other nurses told her that that family was Raisa's neighbours. Well.. they still are.

Yes, it's hard to believe in it, but the mother, Doran's wife is still living with her daughter.

"It's all that girl, Oksana... little brat seduced him... He was a good man, believe me, Sasha. Even now... her mother is doing everything possible to satisfy all their needs, but she... She ruined my favourite flowers, you know?! My beautiful geraniums I was so proud of!" - The woman instantly began to complain, but her colleague wasn't paying attention anymore.

The insane laughter suddenly ended up in a second.

Only psychopaths can do that.

This is what actually makes them crazy.

The young woman was respecting the old, mature woman, but truly thought that she is stupid.

Little abused kid seduced her parent? That's kind of bullshit. Yeah, like the fact that her mom is trying to take care of her.

The nurses went through the hallway, thinking about different stuff.

The echo of the spine-chilling scream and talks of the woken up patients followed them for the next couple of minutes.

***

Oksana looked up from the book, her heart racing and the words stuck in her throat.

"Hey, are you listening?" Her teacher asked, looking at her from behind his glasses. Heat rose up to her cheeks as she nodded as a response. The students stared her way, while Oksana ducked her head, avoiding the looks.