Chapter 6

Zayn's actually ready when Harry pulls up at 9.27am. He opens the door and almost hugs Harry when Harry lifts up his hands to reveal breakfast.

"You're the best assistant I've ever had," Zayn tells him honestly as he grabs one of the coffees and swipes the paper bag from Harry. He heads for the kitchen and Harry follows slowly behind.

Croissants. He bloody loves Harry.

"I'm the only assistant you've ever had," Harry points out. He doesn't seem put out or anything though, and when Zayn glances over his shoulder, Harry's got Tiger in his arms and his traitorous cat is purring happily into Harry's shoulder.

"You're also the worst assistant I've ever had," Zayn says with a grin. Harry sticks his tongue out at him and Zayn leans over to shove a croissant in Harry's mouth. "You should probably let go of my cat if you want to eat that."

Zayn watches in fascination as Harry works the croissant into his mouth using a lot of tongue while he holds Tiger to his chest. And when he's done, he flashes Zayn a huge grin of self-satisfaction.

"That is disgusting," Zayn tells him, taking a much smaller bite out of his own pastry and chewing slowly.

"I dunno," Harry says slowly. He's got a hand buried in Tiger's fur and he's doing something that's making Tiger purr in contentment. "I've had a lot of practice. Never got any complaints from anyone."

"Just please don't try it at the station," Zayn pleads. He finishes his croissant and crosses the kitchen to dump the bag into the bin. "No messing with the models, or at least until we're done with the calendar. If you start distracting them, Harry, you're off the shoot."

"No deliberate distractions," Harry promises. When Zayn opens his mouth to protest, Harry jumps in. "Hey, I can't help it if someone gets distracted by my natural charm," he points out. He's also grinning smugly.

Zayn tries to stare him down but Harry doesn't wilt under Zayn's best glare. "Fine," he says eventually before he takes a sip of coffee. It's strong and rich, which is just how Zayn likes it but just makes him frown harder. Harry really is the best assistant he's ever had. And possibly the best mate he's ever had. It really makes it difficult for Zayn to stay annoyed with him.

Zayn picks up Harry's coffee since Harry's showing no signs of putting Tiger down and heads for the front door. He's not taking any cameras except for the small digital one he's got in his pocket. He'd thought about it though because taking pre-shoot pictures is something he does every now and again and it's good to get a handle of lighting and angles and colours. But Liam's reticence about the calendar had stopped him from picking up any of his other cameras. And he'll suggest the same to Harry, who probably has a range of his own equipment in the back of his second-hand Vauxhall Astra. He doesn't want to scare Liam because something tells him Liam's going to do the calendar no matter what. And if Liam's doing it, Zayn wants to make him feel as comfortable as possible.

"C'mon Harry," Zayn mutters when he turns to find Harry still hugging a smug-looking Tiger. "Drop the cat and let's go."

"Sorry Tiger," Harry says, giving him one last cuddle before he drops down and lets the cat hit the floor. "Mean old Zaynie says we have to go."

Zayn lifts one unimpressed eyebrow at the pair and he waits patiently for Harry to stand up and walk past him, neatly plucking his coffee out of Zayn's hand and strolling towards his old, beat up car.

"Stay out of trouble," Zayn warns Tiger. As usual, it goes over the cat's head and he strolls off towards the kitchen, leaving Zayn to lock up and mutter about ungrateful pets.

He climbs into the passenger side of Harry's car. As he expected, the backseat is covered in camera cases, lighting equipment and two old copies of Ideal Home.