My Best Friend's Girl

Lucas' POV

"Riley come on you can't be serious" I laugh as she spins around in front of me.

"What?" she asks giggling adorably. "You don't like it?"

"Riley you're playing Dorothy not Cinderella" I point out as I look at the light blue ball gown she was wearing. Riley was in Abigail Adam's production of The Wizard of Oz and I was helping backstage, which meant helping pick out costumes while the director was busy.

"Well what should I be wearing then?" she asks smiling at me. I loved when Riley smiled at me, it was like the whole room lit up. I could watch her smile all day long and I loved it when I was the reason.

"How about this" I suggest pulling out a knee length blue and white checkered dress that resembled the one from the film.

"Let me try it on" she says holding out her hand for me to give it to her. Our hands brush as I hand her the dress and shots of electricity run up my arm. We lock eyes for a few seconds but we're interrupted when the director walks in.

"Hey guys" Farkle says brightly as he walks in the room.

"Hi" I say shortly as I look down at the ground.

"Hey beautiful" he says as he walks over to Riley giving her a quick kiss on the lips.

"Hey Farkle" she says sweetly as they pull apart. Farkle and Riley had been dating since sophomore year, we were seniors now and everyone at school swore that the two of them would become the power couple of Harvard next year.

"Did you find an outfit yet?" he asks Riley and she shakes her head.

"Not yet but Lucas just found this one so I'm gonna go try it on."

"Sounds good" Farkle says as she walks out before coming over to me. "Hey thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it, especially with Riley. I hate not being able to spend time with her but I'm glad she has someone to talk to" he says and I nod.

"Anytime buddy" I smile looking up at him.

"Thanks Lucas, you're such a great friend" Farkle adds before walking out of the room and my heart drops knowing that Farkle would think anything but if he knew the real reason I didn't mind helping was because I was helplessly in love with his girlfriend.

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

"Hey where'd Farkle go?" Riley asks as she steps back into the room looking around for her boyfriend.

"Um, he went back out on stage" I say absentmindedly as I stare at her. I knew it was wrong but I couldn't keep my eyes off of her. The dress fit her perfectly, hugging all of her curves in the right places. The blue looked amazing against her skin and she had even braided her hair in pigtails to complete the look. She looked just like Dorothy, she looked beautiful.

"Oh" she says awkwardly. "Lucas are you okay?" she asks snapping me back to reality.

"Of course" I answer as I clear my throat turning to look for the ruby slippers that would complete the look.

"So do you like it?" she asks and I suddenly realize I never gave her my opinion on the dress.

"You look nice" I answer trying not to let on that her appearance was making me frazzled.

"Nice? Lucas that's all I get" she teases walking towards me.

"What do you want me to say" I snap turning around to face her only to realize there is the smallest amount of space between us.