[16.5]

Recap: Best regards my a**.
°°°°
"So, what do you want to do now?" He sighs.
"Well, what is there to do now that we're locked in together?" I ask, turning my head towards the door when someone knocks on it.
Another paper is slipped through the crack at the bottom. I gesture my hand to the door, prompting Ajax to go get it. He nods and rolls his eyes, standing up to get it. He walks towards the paper and bent down to pick it up. His eyebrows furrow together as his eyes scan over the paper quickly. A few seconds later, he walks back to me and shoves it into my hands. I take a look at it and I can tell why Ajax was so confused.

Dear Ajax and Alice,
       Shell! Help. Asafetida. Shake. Pegasus. Prone. Sell.
(I like the second row the best.)

"What the h*ll does this mean?"
Ajax shrugs and I groan loudly. "Could those two get any crazier than they already are?"
"Well they obviously can," Ajax snorts.
I squint at him and I start to bang my head on the headboard of the bed, throwing the paper on the floor. Suddenly I sit up and scramble to pick up the little piece of paper. "He's here."
"What?" Ajax asks when I shoot up from my position.
"What if that's a code for something. Here look." I scoot a little closer to him and point to the last sentence.
"What is there to see?"
"She wrote that she likes the second row the best. What if she meant the second letter of every word?"
"And what does that have to do with anything at all?"
"If you had a brain, you would know. The second letter of every word spells out 'He's Here' but what I don't know is who she's talking about."
Ajax's head snaps up and I look at him. "What's wrong?"
"Luke."
"Luke who?"
"Luke is Tessa's ex boyfriend. They didn't exactly break up on good terms."
"What do you mean on good terms?"
"I mean that Luke legit threatened to kill her and I mean kill her. He's licensed to have a gun so she's been trying to avoid him but lately, he's been dropping by at the most random times. He's not over Tessa and I don't think he ever will be."
"What do you think he's doing here right now?"
"I don't know. He could be doing anything."
"You know she ought to get a restraining order on him."
"I tell her that but you know, she never listens to me."
"Well, she's in trouble."
"Big trouble."