The Apprentices

"Its the day its the day its the day!'' Three kits jumped around Morningmoons paws. Aqua blue, amber and green eyes looked back at her.

   "Hmmm... Mom, why do some of the warriors look at me funny?" Blackkit asked her mom. Morningmoon flinched.

   "You'll be a great apprentice, and a great warrior after that, no matter what happened back then, or now, you'll be fine." Morningmoon mewed. Blackkit just shrugged and went back to playing around with her sisters.

   "I'm gonna fight better than both of you!" Blackkit yowled. Willowkit and Dawnkit both narrowed their eyes.

   "Oh yeah? Well I'm gonna be the best hunter!" Dawnkit retorted. Willowkit rolled her eyes.

   "What does it matter, we're gonna be apprentices!" Willowkit mewed. Morningmoon looked down at her kits, smiling. "You'll all be the best hunters and fighters" We all looked outside when we heard the summons.

   "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather here beneath the tree arch for a clan meeting!" Morningmoon looked at us again, pride shining in her eyes as she herded us out of the nursery.

   "Be good to your mentors!" She called as we darted to the arch where two branches from two different trees had grown, and joined into one.

   "We will!!" Dawnkit called back.

   "Willowkit, Dawnkit, Blackkit, come forward please." Sparrowstar's eyes looked inviting, her gaze warm. Willowkit, Blackkit and Dawnkit all zoomed forward, all three sisters eyes blazed with excitement. "These kits have reached their sixth moon and are ready to become apprentices. Willowkit."

   "Yes, that's me!!!" She called out in excitement, then realized after hearing the mrrow of laughter that passed through the clan, that she had just shouted in front of the whole clan. "Sorry" Wow. Even Sparrowstar was holding back laughter.

   "Yes, however, now you are Willowpaw, and your mentor will be Whitewater. Whitewater, pass on your fighting skills and quick wits to this apprentice." Sparrowstar turned her head to Blackkit. "Blackkit, from now on until you earn your warrior name you shall be known as Blackpaw, and your mentor will be Seedfire. Seedfire I hope you shall pass on your quiet determination and hunting skills to this apprentice." Blackpaw bounced a little on her paws.

   "Dawnkit. You shall be known as Dawnpaw until you earn your warrior name. Your mentor will be Pinefang." Willowpaw almost visibly flinched. Pinefang? I feel bad for her, i heard from Grayfeather, his last apprentice, that he's really strict... "Pinefang, share your loyal ambition and your Quick thinking in battle to this apprentice." Willowpaw, Blackpaw and Dawnpaw walked over to touch noses with our new mentors, Dawnpaw hesitating just a little. Pinefang chuckled.

   "I promise i don't bite" Pinefang joked. Dawnpaw giggled. Whitewater looked at Pinefang and Seedfire.

   "Should we go with all six of us?" She meowed. Pinefang nodded.

   "Lets take them on a tour of the territory." Whitewater suggested. Seedfire and Pinefang meowed agreement. They walked though the thorn tunnel, and into the forest. After a while of exploring the trees the mentoras walk them by a large expanse of water.

   "Whoa! whats that!?" Willowkit exclaimed. "That's the most water I've ever seen!" Whitewater let out a mrrow of laughter.

   "That's the pond." She looked at it. "When i was an apprentice my brother and I would catch frogs here." She looked at Pinefang, and I remembered Pinefang was her brother. He sighed.

   "I admit, that was pretty fun." Pinefang meowed, and then glanced at Seedfire, who had began to look uneasy.

   "Willowpaw, Blackpaw, Dawnpaw, go back to camp and get more cats." Seedfire murmured.

   "What? Why?" Blackpaw asked. As she said it, a weird smell drifted to the cats near the pond.

   "Oh StarClan help us..." Whitewater gasped. "DarkClan!"

   "Well, well well... what do we have here?" An orange she-cat slid into view. Pinefangs eyes narrowed and he unsheathed his claws.

   "Oakfire... What are you doing in LightClan territory?" He growled. He dug his claws into the peat and flattened his ears. Oakfire lifted one paw and examined her claws.

   "Just doing some hunting, whats it to you, Feather-head?" She replied cheekily. Whitewater growled and flattened her ears. Oakfire's tail twitched once and about six more cats came out of the bushes.