chapter 4

Rachel's eyes locked with Finn's as his shaky hand pulled with slushie cup back towards him. He looked like he'd seen a ghost with the shocked expression he had. Rachel was in complete shock as well as she stared at the boy she hadn't seen in years. The last time she saw him was the day she had her first kiss, with him, and he promised her that he'd never forget her.

Finn was the first one to find the ability to speak. He never thought he would see Rachel again, and now that she was only a few feet away he didn't know what to do. Four years ago he was positive that he and Rachel would be together forever. He knew that they had that relationship that would someday turn into something more than friends, and once it did, she was gone. However, she now stood in front of him with those big brown eyes staring up at his, and he was clueless.

"What are you doing here?" he asked her in a hushed tone, as if she wasn't even there. He almost wanted to touch her to make sure he wasn't seeing things. Sure, he and Rachel hadn't spoken in forever, but he never went one day without thinking about her.

Rachel's eyes broke from his as she let her eyes travel down his body. She first took in the bright red football themed jacket he was sporting. She knew he played football, they were still talking when he auditioned, but she never thought he would transform into the stereotypical football player that he appeared to be. Her eyes locked onto the drink in his hand, and it terrified her to think that he had every intension of throwing it into her face until he realized who she was exactly. If it hadn't been her standing in the hallway, he would have had no problem tossing it towards the student.

"I moved back," Rachel replied, her eyes not moving from the slushie. Finally, she let her eyes connect with his again, and she tried her hardest to figure out what he was thinking. "What happened to you?"

Finn had to look away from her then. He couldn't handle the intense and hurt face Rachel was giving him. He never intended on becoming part of Karofsky's little clan, but it just sort of happened.

Rachel's eyes burned into Finn. She had so many unanswered questions. The most important one was how he ended up being one of the bullies.

Rachel watched as he pulled the slushie even closer to his body, as if to tell her that he wasn't going to throw it. She relaxed a little, knowing that he Finn was still somewhere deep inside of this imposter.

When Rachel realized that she wasn't going to be getting any answers out of Finn she spoke up, "I should get to class."

Finn nodded, still not speaking, and stepped out of her way. He watched as she walked past him, her eyes staying trained on his, and he didn't move from his spot in the hallway until she was completely out of sight.

Rachel walked around the corner and tried her hardest to keep Finn out of her mind. She found another room number direction sign, and followed it until she finally found the classroom she had been originally looking for. She gave the teacher a quick apology and an explanation for being so late, and the teacher thankfully excused her tardiness. The teacher handed Rachel a worksheet and pointed to an empty desk towards the back of the classroom. Rachel sat down in the last empty seat available and took a deep breath.

"Get lost?" the girl sitting next to her asked. She was wearing a cheerleading uniform that was identical to Santana's, and her blonde hair was pulled up into a ponytail. She wasn't looking at Rachel when she asked the question, and her eyes remained on the worksheet she was completing.

"You could say that," Rachel replied. "I've been living in California for the past four years, and I'm just now getting back. I don't remember this school being so big."

The girl shrugged, not really seeming to care about Rachel's story. Rachel brushed off the girl's ruddiness and started filling out her own worksheet. She watched as the blonde girl wrote her name on the top of her paper before she stood up and turned her paper in. Quinn Fabray was her name. Rachel didn't recognize her from a few years back and figured she must have recently moved to Lima. Rachel pushed it out of her mind, the girl probably didn't matter, it wasn't like she was going to ever associate with Rachel anyways.