Prologue

The full moon hung over the Nightclan cats as they watched the lilac calico leader speak. She was Lilacstar, leader of Sunclan. A certain tom watched in most interest.

Fogfrost sat below where the leaders had settled down at, watching with unblinking blue eyes. The new leader spoke with calm words. "It is sad to say, after Raventuft's death, her single kit Meadowkit also passed away." A sad muttering went threw the clans and even the grey and white tom felt upset. The thought of anything happening to his dear Ashleaf made his paws itch. Any day she would have her kits, his kits. The thought of having his own excited him.

His eyes darted back up as Lilacstar dipped her head, allowing Splashstar to step up. The Mossclan she-cat was horribly old and it was shocking the black and white she-cat had not stepped down.

Instead of listening, the tom's blue gaze traveled along the clans. For a brief moment he thought he spotted someone he knew; Echostar.

Shocked, the tom nearly got up, but a glance from Flowerpelt made him stop. With a closer look he realized who it really was.

Sitting in the far back was a grey and white patched apprentice named Aspenpaw. The she-cat had been newly made along with her siblings, Widowpaw and Velvetpaw. The grey and white patched tom shook his head, letting out a frustrated growl. His brother had passed away to Greencough only a couple of moons ago, yet it still felt like he was among them.

Before the deputy could take another look, the leaders were jumping down. Cats chatted for a bit but soon conversation was cut short as cats followed their leaders back to their clans.

By the time the cats had made it back, the moon was nearly hidden away. Cats yawned tiredly, shifting in a slow pace. Fogfrost flanked behind Brindlestar, lowering his head and yawning.

A sudden screech made Fogfrost's ears prick up. He knew who that was. "Ashleaf!" He yowled, running ahead of the others, the feeling of tiredness suddenly gone.

As he made his way into camp he noticed a cluster of cats were watching. Suddenly Cherryheart padded out, shaking her head. "Finally." He could hear her mew. Fogfrost slithered his way threw the cats before standing in front of the small calico she-cat.

"How is she?" He asked, his mew horribly worried. Cherryheart simply flicked a ear. "Fine, three healthy kits. Two she-kits and a tom." Excitement blossomed in Fogfrost's chest as he padded into the nursery, seeing Ashleaf softly lick small bundles that nursed beside her. One was a light grey, resembling his own grey patches. Another was completely white. The last was a dark grey, after a moment of looking in awe the deputy could see a white chest and paws.

"They're wonderful." Fogfrost breathed, gently licking Ashleaf's cheek. The medicine cat looked up, her eyes bright and warm. "They look so much like us. I never thought having kits would be so...so perfect." Hearing Ashleaf's soft voice made Fogfrost purr. He tucked himself beside the queen, looking with wide eyes. "I should name the tom, you should the she-kits." He mewed after some silence.

Ashleaf gently nodded, pointing to the light grey she-kit. "She will be Blossomkit." Fogfrost purred. "What a lovely name." He turned to the white tom. "That will be Dovekit." After some agreeable muttering, they turned to the last kit. "Mintkit." Ashleaf suddenly mewed, her voice gentle. Fogfrost blinked and nodded, giving Ashleaf another lick on the cheek. "They're wonderful names. Now sleep my dear, in the morning I shall tell the clan of our new daughters and son."

Fogfrost had curled close to Ashleaf, allowing himself to fall asleep. All the commotion of the gathering and the news of his new kits had exhausted him, and within moments he was deeply resting. He had not heard Ashleaf, who had been watching with sad eyes.

She had been watching Mintkit, who suckled closest to her body. She had spoke with a sad, tired voice.

"Oh Mintkit, how sad your path will be. But you will be remembered as a hero. That is all you will be able to ask."

Fogfrost had heard none of that.