Night 7

Night 7: February 15th of sophomore year

Maya Hart was angry, and when Maya Hart is angry, nothing ends right.

It had been three months since Lucas had visited her. Not only that, but he wouldn't talk to her. There was no more teasing, no more conversations, no questions, only short answers. She would ask him how he was and his only answer was "fine". But Maya Hart wasn't a fool, and she could read Lucas Friar better than he could read himself.

She had tried to talk to Josh about what was going on with Lucas, but her boyfriend simply brushed it off. It bothered her that he didn't care much about her friends, because she knew he wasn't that kind of guy. Maybe he just didn't like Lucas?

Oh, who was she kidding? Everyone who meets Lucas loves Lucas.

Eventually, she had gotten fed up with his little game. She had marched up to Lucas and had demanded that he talk to her. She wanted to know what was wrong. The boy only stared at her, a strange look in his eyes - she could see anger, pain, but mostly; longing.

It made her wonder if she had seen right. A million thoughts were racing through her mind, but mostly, she wanted to know what was wrong with her friend. Farkle wouldn't answer her, and Riley was no help.

When she texted Lucas and told him to come over immediately. She had never expected him to show up. So when he did, she stared at him through the window.

Lucas finally knocked on her window, and she snapped out of her thoughts. She opened the window and waited for him to come inside. He didn't.

"What's up?" He asked casually. From the way the two words he had gotten out slurred, she could tell that her friend had been drinking. She grabbed him by the collar of his jacket and pulled him inside her room.

He chuckled as he held onto her. She could smell the alcohol on his breath.

The blonde sat him on her bed and shut the window. Once she made her way back to him, he put his arms around her waist and pressed his forehead onto her stomach. She frowned and wrapped her arms around his shoulder. She could hear his muffled, drunken words, but she chose to ignore them. She was angry that Lucas had gotten drunk. He was the good one, he was the responsible one. Why did he do it?

He pulled away and smiled at her before pulling her down on his lap. He rested his chin on her shoulder and sighed happily. Maya groaned, not exactly wanting to take care of her drunken friend. She tried telling herself that she was at least spending time with him, but it did not comfort her in any way.

It just made her miss him even more.

She sighed and rested her chin on top of his head. She kissed the top of his head. "Lucas, please tell me what's making you do this..." She begged.

Lucas smiled. His drunken thoughts were clashing, and he wasn't exactly sure where to start. He wasn't sure why he had come to her house, but he felt nice. He felt at home.

When he didn't answer, she looked at him. His eyes were closed, and it seemed like he was struggling internally. She put her hands on his cheeks, turning his head up slightly. He opened his eyes and she saw that look again - the anger, the pain and the longing.

She repeated her demand from earlier.

"You are." He said. She frowned, letting go of him. His arms were tightly around her waist, refusing to let her go. The blonde looked at her ceiling, trying to understand why the hell she was the reason he was like this.

Then, she put the pieces together.

The last time he had visited her was on the night he said he had something important to tell her.

The forehead kisses and the cheek kisses, the marks of affection, the teasing, the important thing to tell her.

He liked her.

But before she could say anything, it was too late.

Lucas grabbed her chin gently and turned her head to him, and he leaned in. Their lips touched, and there was fire.

It wasn't like any kiss she had ever had with Josh, who was her first kiss and her first boyfriend. This kiss was long and pained, and she could tell that Lucas definitely liked her.

She kissed him back.

What am I doing?

Her arms found their way around his neck, bringing him closer.

Stop.

The kiss heated up.

Stop!

She quickly pulled away and pushed herself off of him. Lucas fell back onto her bed, a drunken mess. She ran her fingers through her hair and touched her lips. What the hell had just happened? Why did she kiss him back? It was just because she was in the heat of the moment, right? Right. She had a boyfriend; she couldn't do this to him.

Lucas apparently found a way to sit up. He was grinning at her, and all she wanted to do was slap that grin off of his face. She was about to, until she saw the look in his eyes. The anger and the pain were gone, only the longing stood.

Now, she understood.

"You need to go." She said, opening up the window. He nodded and made his way to her window. He turned to her and planted a kiss on her cheek before making his way out.

As soon as he was outside, she shut the window.

She shut the lights and slid under her covers.

For the first time in her life, Maya questioned herself. After an hour of never-ending questions and no answers, she decided to turn her brain off and let herself fall asleep.

And that was the seventh night Lucas knocked on Maya's window.