Night 20

A/N it's been a cool journey
//
Night 20: August 14th

Lucas couldn't sleep. He had been tossing and turning all night, and it was now two in the morning. Riley and Maya were moving away to college, tomorrow. The day after, it was his turn. The day after that, Zay and Farkle's.

Truth be told, he didn't want to leave his friends. He would have done everything to go to the same school as them once more, but Cornell had offered him a full ride, and his mother didn't have the money to pay for college. Cornell also happened to have one of the best programs in the country. But he would be far away from all of his friends, and his girlfriend.

As he got up from his bed for what seemed like the hundredth time that night, he picked up his phone to text Maya.

To: Shortstack

8/14

I'm coming over. (2:03 AM)

To: Huckleberry

8/14

Can't sleep? (2:04 AM)

To: Shortstack

8/14

Not without you around. (2:07 AM)

To: Huckleberry

8/14

Sap.

Lucas chuckled at her last text. He didn't bother getting dressed, except for a t-shirt he pulled over his head. He was pretty sure that walking around New York at two AM without a shirt on would look strange. But he had seen even stranger thing...

He snapped out of his thoughts and made his way downstairs. His mother was the heaviest sleeper, or if she was awake, she knew exactly where he was heading. She had given him several hints about knowing where he went all of those nights, but she had never told him directly to his face that she knew he was going to Maya's. If she wasn't fine with it, she would have said so.

Lucas made his way out the door and took the familiar path to Maya's house.

For the last time, he thought. It felt so strange knowing that tomorrow all of this would be all over. No more seeing his friends every single day, no more barging into Riley's window whenever he needed advice, no more sleeping over at Farkle's with Zay, no more boy's nights, no more watching Friends with his best friends (how ironic was it that they had just finished season 10?), no more sneaking into Maya's room to make her (and him) feel better. Tomorrow, all of that would be gone.

He didn't want it to end.

Three knocks.

Maya was sitting on her bed, drawing. He couldn't see what she was drawing, but when she heard the knock, she put her sketch down and he could see. It was a drawing of the gang, sprawled out on the floor, watching what he guessed was friends. But it was them, all of them, smiling. Maya had captured the moment perfectly, almost as if she had taken a picture.

He was still staring at the sketch when Maya opened the window. Once he heard the window lock in place, he turned to his girlfriend. He couldn't help but smile at her. Maya was the only one that ever made him feel like everything would be okay.

"Hey, sap." Maya greeted, a grin stretching across her face. He gave her a quick kiss on the lips before slipping inside her room. He quickly kicked off his shoes and took off his shirt, letting himself flop onto Maya's bed. The blonde sat next to him and he moved, resting his head in her lap. She ran her fingers absent-mindedly through his hair.