Chapter 6

A/N: Hello people of Wattpad! It's been a long time! I doubt anyone is still following this story, but in case you are, I'M SORRY! 😭 I had to deal with some very emotional stuff, including a breakdown that I would rather not talk about. But no matter! The story must go on!

Maya's POV
When I woke up Monday morning, everything seemed prettier. The sun was a vibrant gold instead of a shadow behind the cloudy New York sky. The pigeons were singing in four part harmony instead of cawing raucously as they left their droppings all over the taxis that roamed the streets. Everything was just....perfect.

The clock read 10:06. Having the day off school because of hallway remodeling and getting to sleep in was just another reason my day was so perfect already. But the main reason was Josh. I didn't know how long his little "trailer" would last, but I was anxious to see what came next.

With a yawn, I stretched out, and crawled out of bed. Within the next hour, I murmured my good morning to my mother before she scurried off to Topanga's Bakery for work, hopped in the shower, and picked at a toaster strudel. I settled herself down in a simple T-shirt and a pair of jean shorts to watch some TV. SpongeBob reruns? Sure, why not?

At about noon, there was a knock at her door. Startled, because I wasn't expecting company, she proceeded to the door to peer through the peephole. My heart skipped a beat. It was Josh. I opened the door.

"Hello Maya," Josh said simply. "May I come in?" All I could do was nod. He made his way through the doorway and joined me back on the couch.

"SpongeBob eh?" he said with a twinkle in his eye. "Hey don't judge me, there was nothing else on!" I said playfully. He laughed. "Why would I judge? That show was my childhood!" We laughed some more. Everything was so funny with Josh. So light and carefree. Once again, perfect.

After a lengthy conversation about how SpongeBob and Patrick would be the best gay couple after Ellen and Portia, Josh changed the subject.

"So what would you say to Part 2 of your trailer?" he asked. I turned away from the television to face him. "Josh I'd love to, but my mom-" He cut me off. "I've already talked to your mom. She says it's okay. Are you in?" I beamed. "Of course I'm in! Where are we going?" Josh shook his head. "Maya, Maya, Maya. So many questions," he chuckled softly. I stared impatiently. I don't like not knowing things. "It's a surprise," he said with faux exasperation. I huffed. Him and his surprises.

"Well if it's a surprise, how am I supposed to know what to wear?" I retorted. He looked me up and down causing me to blush. "What you're wearing is fine. But don't wear any fancy shoes." I nodded slowly, trying to figure out wear we might be going. After a moment, I gave up, and begrudgingly pulled on my converse sneakers.

************

Josh's POV
After an enjoyable car ride with Maya, we reached our destination. Central Park. Little did my soon-to-be girlfriend know, I had something very special planned.

"Central Park," Maya said. "What are we gonna do here?" I smiled. "You'll see....after I take off the blindfold." Maya shot me a look. "What blindfold?" And with that, I pulled a SpongeBob necktie out of the glove compartment (ironic right?) and covered up Maya's eyes. She was quite difficult at first; I have the scratch to prove it, but eventually she gave up and, under my lead, followed me out to the hillside, for the (hopefully) romantic picnic I had planned.

*******

Maya's POV
After a wonderful picnic that I probably should have been able to guess was about to happen, Josh and I sat close to each other staring up at the clouds above. It was peaceful. We didn't speak for a while, except when Josh asked "Six weeks?" with a hopeful cockiness in his voice. After that, with my hand in his, we continued to stare at the clouds above.

"What's your favorite color Maya?" Josh asked suddenly. I answered right away. "Red, easy." He nodded in agreement. "Good color. Why's it your favorite?" I wondered why he was so interested. But I was so happy I didn't care. "It's the darkest vibrant color." He looked at me funny. I felt the need to elaborate. "See, I express myself with very dark, haunting colors. But the other half of me, Riley, is very light and cheerful. Red is the deepest and darkest, cheerful color I think you can get. It's perfect," Josh smiled and opened his mouth to speak. I cut him off. "Kinda like you."

A/N: So why do YOU think Josh was asking about Maya's favorite color? Leave your guess in the comments below!