Chapter 12: The suspicions

Jake

"Hmm," I said, looking at the caller ID.

"Mom wants us to go and meet grandma," Reina said listlessly, "And you can't say no, she told me to bring you specifically."

I almost skipped a heartbeat again. The first one happened earlier when I almost lost the match today, but one of my teammates, Nick saved the day.

"What? No! Please no! Not today! I-"

"She said no excuses. Afterall, you are her grandson," Reina said humorlessly, "I am picking you up after school and we are gonna go. Don't you dare be late."

"You are a cold hearted-"

"Same to you. Bye," She hung up.

"What?" Derek asked, as I angrily shoved the phone in my pocket.

"Can you believe this? I was supposed to go at Penn's house today to check out his new game which he got on his birthday and now Reina calls me saying we have to go and pay grandma a visit," I groaned.

"Relax. Its just one day. What's the harm?" Derek asked as we stood near our lockers.

"Easy for you to say. You are just gonna go home and sleep. I have to go to a place where everytime all I get is 'Oh my Jake. Have you grown taller? You are becoming a tree day by day' or 'You should study more. Hanging out with girls won't fetch you grades.' These are the only two things she speaks about," I grumbled as I proceeded towards Chemistry while Derek had Economics.

Thank god this was the last period because any more class and I would literally go berserk. These last few days just didn't seem to end. I just wanted it to be done and over with.

I knew I would miss it once I passed out blah blah blah... some more blah.

"Don't think too much. Change the topic if it makes you uncomfortable, okay? I will see you after school. You will be at the entrance gate, right?" Derek asked.

I nodded before heading towards Chemistry as he went to his Economics class.

Another day ends, another class and another-

Wait. Olivia.

The seat next to her was empty. So why was I here grumbling? Johnson, your path is clear. You are good to go.

Olivia was listening to music with her earphones plugged in. She was humming and drumming her fingers on the desk looking out of the window.

Grinning widely, I sat down beside her and poked her on the shoulder.

She looked at me before rolling her eyes, "What?"

Ah! Her love for me always overwhelmed me.

Though, I did notice she opened one of her earphones and looked at me.

"Hi," I smiled, wiggling my eyebrows.

"The teacher will arrive anytime soon so you should go back to your seat," She replied.

"Where is your boyfriend?" I asked, looking around the class.

"Who? Ashton? He is my friend. Not my boyfriend," She said, after which she plugged in her earphone again and started ignoring me.

I opened her earphone, "But he is your boyfriend. I have seen you guys stick to each other like a pair of leeches," I said, making kissing noises that I knew would needle her.

"We are friends. And I am not having this conversation with you again, Jacob," She said firmly, snatching her earphone away.

She always called me Jacob. I don't know what was her problem with Jake. Jacob made me feel weird.