The Formal

Her

Saturday. It has been quarter to 7 and the formal is going to start on 7:30, but here I am, retouching my make up because of the beads of sweat that goes out from my pores. Mom already put the air conditioner on worrying that my make up would be a mess because of this sucking sweats. Can't blame my pores, I am so nervous.

"Sweetie, don't be nervous. This ain't your first formal." mom told me.

"I'm still nervous mom. I might spill another glass of punch on my dress like what I did last year. Or worst I am gonna embarrass myself if I slip through the floor with these shoes."

"Accidents happen, sweetheart. It doesn't mean that you spill a glass of punch last formal means that it will happen again every formal."

"Well, for these occasions, I often make stupid things or embarrassing moments. Remember my junior prom?"

"You were still a baby then, sweetie."

"I'm afraid another unfortunate event happens."

"No sweetie. Don't be negative. Why don't you look at the bright side. This is your last formal. Make it memorable, my dear. There's no formal in college."

I could not assure mom that I could look at the bright side. Another unfortunate event might happen and I can't assure myself either that everything will be alright. Why can't I be nervous? Clarkson is my date this formal. Nothing could be more awkward than having the guy who made a confession during the heavy rain inside your boyfriend's house as your date during the formal. And worst, I confessed that I like him too.

Ding Dong

"Honey, your date is here!" Dad called from downstairs in the living room. "Clarkson is waiting, my little girl."

"Clarkson is your date tonight?" mom asked. "Where's Jake?" she guided me outside my room.

"Uh, he is with his cousin, Janelle."

"He wasn't there also last formal. This ain't good. Is he always gonna proxy his friends to be your date for the formal?"

"He is so busy last time. He even forgot he needs a suit." I lied.

"Uh huh." mom said, still unconvinced. She guided me downstairs until the living room. I saw Clarkson standing near dad's favorite sofa. He is handsome with his silver colored tux with a royal blue tie. He have a cream colored flower on his left side chest pocket. He give me a sweet smile that radiates his positive energy. "I think Clarkson is more handsome than Jake." she whispered.

"Mom."

She face Clarkson and give him her smile. She had that look that admires him and some sort of want to interrogate. "Clarkson, right?"

"Yes, ma'am." he replied.

"Don't use 'ma'am', Clarkson. Call me Giselle."

"Okay, Giselle." he smiled at her.

"Ain't got a date in the formal before my daughter?" she ask.

"No, Giselle. I actually want to ask her out last week for the formal but she have Jake. I think they're going out together but he called me and told me to proxy him."

"Lucky guy." dad commented while transferring channels. "Take care of my daughter, son"

"I will, Reginald." he replied. Then he turned to mom. "I think it's time for us to go, Giselle."