Chapter 24 (edited)

The next morning I awoke to hear Vlad downstairs. I put on my game face and went downstairs.

“Violet! I’ve missed you, I thought I would drop by, go on a hunt with you, and give you a present,” Vlad said holding out a small box.

“Thank you,” I said and opened it to find a gold ring with a tear drop shaped red gem making it look like a drop of blood, and a white tiny gem next to it.

“It’s hand made, and when you hit the white crystal, the smell of blood id released to lure Vampires to you to make the hunt easier,” Vlad explained.

“I love it,” I smiled.

            It was a beautiful ring, but knowing its purpose made me guilty. Vlad said he was staying for two days.

“We shall hunt tonight, and then I will leave late tomorrow,” Vlad said.

            I put the ring on my middle finger and pretended to admire it to make Vlad less suspicious. Vlad smiled and went upstairs and I sighed in relief. The whole day I kept my distance from Vlad. I tried distracting myself with TV, books, games...I finally wrote all my feelings out in a notebook and felt a bit more relieved. I was not looking forward to hunting tonight. There was no way I was getting out of this one. I texted Luke that he should keep his family in tonight, explaining that Vlad wanted to hunt.

            That evening Vlad knocked on my door and smiled.

“Hey, ready to hunt?” I asked.

“Yeah, and Jason is coming with us if that’s all right by you,” Vlad said.

“Of course, the more the merrier,” I fake smiled.

“Get dressed, we are waiting downstairs,” Vlad ordered.

            Heading out into the night, Jason was making noise, most likely on purpose, which drove Vlad up the wall. We were at the local dog park, but Jason and I didn’t question it. There were definitely Vampires here. I could practically feel the energy radiating off them. There were more than I figured we could handle, which made me nervous. We came to the end of a trail and Vlad said Jason was to stick with me, and Vlad was to go off on his own.

            Vlad went down a side trail while Jason and I walked into the open field. At the edge it became a hill and the lower field was covered in shadows from the heavy trees. I felt extremely exposed and could feel the back of my hair stand on edge. We were too vulnerable, outnumbered, and in the open. I pushed Jason to go back the way we came, this was a suicide mission. We started to run back when I heard a rustle near us and I pushed Jason a head of me and kept running but I was jumped. I elbowed my attacked in the stomach and he fell off. I turned, stake in hand, and saw a kid. Tears formed in my eyes at the thought of a kid being turned.

“Miss, it’s okay,” the kid said.

“You’re so young,” I whispered.

“I’m eight, I’m not that young,” he defended.

“You’re a Vampire?” I asked.

“Half-Vampire,” he corrected and it hit me why we were here.

            Vlad has been searching for the legendary half vampire since I could remember.

“Your name?” I asked.

“Alex,” He said.

“I’m Violet, that is Jason. You’re in danger, though you knew that. That’s why you attacked me?” I asked and he looked down. “It’s okay, come with us and you will be safe,” I assured.