Chapter 5

For a while we walked through the cold forest, and I took note of the sun setting until it was almost pitch black out. The moon's light reflecting on the snow made it clear enough to see our surroundings. Peter and Lucy stayed persistent in front with the beaver, Ed and Susan were in the middle, and I was in the back. I was still a little off about the situation at hand, and I kept looking behind me at every crack or rustle I heard. I wasn't trying to go against Lucy, but it's hard to trust new people easily for me, I never had any close friends other than the Pevensies. To be able to trust and listen to some beaver leading us further into the woods and away from the wardrobe is patchy. I had a right to keep my guard up.

     The unknown creatures of Narnia made noises in the forest, and my paranoia spiked being the tail of the group. A little spooked, I quickened my pace to catch up to the rest of the group. We walked through a little gorge under a bridge, and came upon a beaver's dam in the middle of a frozen lake. Smoke was coming out of the chimney and if it wasn't made of sticks it would look like a cute winter cabin in the middle of a forest.

     "Come on. We don't want to be caught out here after nightfall." The beaver scampered towards the dam. "Oh, blimey! Looks like the old girl has got the kettle on. Nice cup of rosy-lee!" 

     "It's lovely!" Lucy complimented. Approaching the lake, the beaver continued talking to Lucy. I noticed a few frozen fish staring up at us through the ice, their beady eyes giving off a terrified look. I frowned at the sight, and decided to keep my head up. As we approach the dam another beaver comes out and starts lecturing. 

     "Beaver, is that you? I've been worried sick. If find out you've been with Badger again..." She starts until she sees us, "Oh, those aren't Badgers... I never thought I would live to see this day!"
I guess they're Mr. and Mrs..

     Mrs. Beaver turns to Mr. Beaver and asks, "Look at my fur. You couldn't give me ten minutes warning?" She scolded her husband, flattening out her mid section and fixing her fur.

     "I'd give you a week if I thought it would've helped." Mr. Beaver states. We all give a slight chuckle and Mrs. Beaver glares, swatting Mr. Beaver in the arm.

     "Come inside and we'll see if we can't get you some food... and some civilized company." She offers as she starts waddling in, Mr. Beaver chuckling. We follow after her, and have to duck our heads to enter the tiny hut. 

     "Now careful, watch your step."

     Ed ends up trailing behind me, too focused staring at those mountains again, what was so fascinating about them to him? But continuing on... Down the stairs and settling into the warm, and very small living space, we all sat around the table as Mrs. Beaver prepared us a snack. 

     "Isn't there anything we can do to help Tumnus?" Peter got down to business, it was the reason we followed the beaver after all. 

     "They'll have taken him to the Witch's house, and you know what they say: there's few who go through them gates that come out again." Mr. Beaver replied, saying it like it was no big deal. 

     "Fish and chips, dear." Mrs. Beaver walked up to Lucy. In her hands was a plate of fish and chips, except the fish was raw, and still a fish... looked almost like a tray of sardines. I scrunched my nose as Lucy politely declined. I sat in silence and twiddled my fingers as Mr. Beaver was chugging down a drink, Mrs. Beaver nudged him. "But there is hope, dear. Lots of hope." She said as Mr. Beaver spat out his drink. 

     "Oh yeah, there's a right bit more than hope!" He then leans forward as if to tell us a secret, "Aslan is on the move."

     We all stare once again, having no idea what he was talking about. Edmund, who was sitting on the stairs, steps forward toward us.