Chapter Nine

The pups had just gotten back to the lookout from helping put up the decorations for the Valentines Day party at city hall when Ryder called for Chase and Marshall to come to his room. The other pups looked at both of them.
        "It's probably nothing," Marshall said.
        "Yeah, Ryder does this all the time, he calls us to his room, asks us some random, silly question, then has us leave," Chase said.
        "Oh, ok," the pups all said. Chase and Marshall did actually know what this was about. Ryder was going to see if there was anything they wanted to change on their Valentines Day gift for Skye and Everest. They didn't want anyone to know, so they lied. As Chase and Marshall walked to Ryder's room, Skye pulled Everest to the side to talk.
        "I wonder what they are going to talk about in there," Everest said.
        "I wonder if that's them working on the gifts for us. I knew Chase was lying. He may be a cop but some of his lies are terrible," Skye said.
        "Anyway, quick question, is it just me or is Chase always so bossy and demanding?" Everest said.
        "Who's bossy and demanding?" Rocky asked. Everyone except Ryder and Chase was now walking towards them.
        "Chase, I mean, you can't tell me that he's never been bossy or demanding. Heck, I think he can be a little bit nosy to," Everest said. Little did they know, Chase and Ryder could hear the whole conversation.
        "I guess you could say that, but he went to a military pup school. He's supposed to be that way. I guess he can get carried away, but don't we all?" Marshall said.
        "I can see where Everest is coming from, Chase can be a little bit annoying even at sometimes," Rocky said. Ryder decided to end this seeing the sadness grow in Chase's face.
        "Hey pups, what's going on?" Ryder asked.
        "Oh, nothing just talking about today," Everest said, clearly lying.
        "Don't lie to me Everest, Chase and I both heard everything. Yes Chase might get on your nerves, but do any of you other than me and Marshall actually know Chase's past. Don't talk badly on anyone behind their back. Say it to their face. It might seem harder, but now Chase probably feels useless. Talking about someone behind their back hurts even worse than saying it to their face. I'm not mad, but I'm disappointed. I want all of you who said something bad to apologize to Chase. You others, come along. I want you to see how a 5 minute conversation can destroy someone," Ryder said. "Chase, can you come out here please?" Ryder asked politely. Without saying a word, Chase walked slowly out with his head down, ears drooping, and tail between his legs. The pups also saw that Chase looked like he was crying.
        "Why is Chase crying Ryder, he never cries," Skye asked.
        Ryder looked at Chase and said,"Should I tell them?"
        "If you want, I'm going to my pup house for a while," Chase said glumly.
        "Chase, I'm going to tell them, and you are going to stay right here. Do you want me to hold you while I tell them?" Ryder said.
        "Y-y-yes please, s-s-sir," Chase stuttered while another tear fell down his face. Ryder picked up Chase and sat on the couch while still holding him.
        "Ok pups, I recommend you grab a box of tissues if you cry easily," Ryder said.
        "I'll go get some, be back," Rocky said.