Part 7: Breaking point

2 months later

"You know that thing i did with the egg in Carls hat?" You asked by Beth. You and her for today were taking books from the library that were water damaged and molding and burning them to avoid sicknesses. "Yeah that was pretty damn funny" she said with a laugh stacking more books into the box "I kinda felt bad" You admitted "really? Dont be getting all soft on me now" she said chuckling "Im not it was just what I saw after that when he was back in his cell" you grabbed books and flipped through the pages seeing if they had mold. "What did you see in his cell?"

You walked into your cell block. You walked to Beth's room first peaking in seeing her sitting on her bed playing with Judith you smiled at the little sounds she was making, which always made Judith giggle. If Judith was with Beth for tonight that must mean Carls alone.

You walked to his cell pulling back the fabric. He was sitting on the floor his back leaning on the bed in his hand was his shirt he had on today and in the other a rag. He had a bottle of soap sitting next to him and a little bucket also he was also shirtless so it was kinda awkward to just be standing there. His sheriff hat sat on the bed seeing he probably already washed the egg off that since you could see it was still wet in some areas. His hair was wet which probably meant he was able to get a shower which was rare for anyone here. And that might also explain him not having a shirt on yet.

Carl finally realized you "come to break more eggs on me?" He asked looking back down at his shirt "no, do you need help?" You took a step farther into his cell "no!" He snapped "I don't need or want your help, you've done enough, just go away" he said his voice cracking when he said go away.
"Okay" you walked out of his cell realizing the tears that had formed in his eyes.
Over

"Wow" Beth said after you told her the story of it "I would have felt bad too" she said you looked at her "that doesn't help" you said putting more books in your box she giggled "I don't know it was just before I never cared about his feelings because he always had a sarcastic remark back and he never showed emotion, but when I saw him cry something just made me different-" you sighed looking down "that was cheesy and stupid" you scoffed thinking about your little ramble "it was not"

You and Beth looked over to see Maggie with her arms crossed across her chest and a grin on her face she walked to the two of you "why are you here?" Beth asked putting a book back on the shelf "Daryl wanted me to come see what you two were doing he said he was ready to burn some shit" she said with a laugh. Typical Daryl. "But that wasnt stupid. I think you guys like each other" she said smiling grabbing some books from Beth's box probably just to make sure you guys were doing this right.

You rolled your eyes "I don't like Carl, I can feel bad for being an asshole" you said in defense of yourself. "that's how I felt about Glenn but look where we are now" Maggie pointed to her finger that had a diamond on it "never in a million years" You smirked picking up your box before leaving "that's also what I said about Glenn!" Maggie yelled you groaned hearing the two sisters laughing.

Daryl started the fire and you tossed books in him helping you ripped two pages from a book and put them in your back pocket Beth walked up behind you dropping her box of books next to you on the ground. She started tosses books in "this would have been a lot faster if Carl was here" Patrick said walking up with his box of old books.

Oh yeah Patrick's been filling in for Carl- more like covering for him while Carl was out doing whatever. Patrick took his place and some how rick hasn't figured out yet. "We got this y/n you can go" Daryl said you nodded and walked off.

You took the pieces of paper out ripping them in half and in half again and again until you had a little pile of ripped up paper. You spotted Carl, Glenn , Carol, and Rick standing basically in a circle probably talking so you decided to join. "Hey" You said walking up to the group the smile that was once on Carls face vanished. "Hey little one" Carol said giving you a little hug "watcha doing" glenn asked crossing his arms over his chest. "I was working but we had an extra hand so I got off" You said saying working louder then the other words also shooting Carl a glare "weren't you supposed to help today?" Rick asked looking down at Carl.

Carl didn't say anything "no he wasn't, not today, not last week, not last month, you know he hasn't showed up for chores for the past two months, Patrick's been doing it for him, for about a month now" you said anger obvious in your voice. Rick looked at Carl you could see him trying to not put his own son six feet under right now. "Lets go" Rick said in a deep whisper tone putting his hand on Carl's shoulder, forcing him away.
____