i dare you

the peculiar children were collectively sat in the living room whilst miss peregrine catered to miss avocet's needs in the study. miss avocet was tired since she had returned from her peculiar loop, traumatised from seeing it be destroyed by wights and hollows.

with a peculiarity meaning that he posessed prophetic dreams and an added great style, horace had projected an upcoming event onto the television screen.

jake was sitting on the same sofa as enoch, with olive, emma and fiona opposite.

hugh, bronwyn and claire were all laying on the floor, distanced apart. horace was sat in the large arm chair, facing directly towards the screen. millard was propped up on the side of the arm rest. he removed his hat and got comfortable.

horace's prophetic dream was of miss avocet, being able to return to her human form. the children all became less worried in an instant, to which they engaged in a conversation about a way to make miss avocet feel better.

after a while, the elders cast a look between one another. "sorry to ruin the mood. you know how i hate to be the big bad wolf and all, but it's ten o'clock, which means bedtime" enoch stated. "i let you all stay up a bit later today"

fiona groaned, travelling up to bed with claire after a small protest. bronwyn and hugh followed shortly afterwards, exchanging small talk as they shuffled up the stairs together.

"millard, truth or dare" horace suggested, turning towards him. millard could be seen shuffling around, his hat now on his head as he muttered "dare" and to this, "i dare you to do the chicken dance for ten seconds" horace said mockingly, watching as millard put a sheet over himself so that he could be seen. he completed his set dare, all of the teenagers laughing. "okay emma, t or d?" millard asked.

"truth"

"who do you think is the hottest in this room?" the invisible boy smirked, drum rolling on the sofa. emma looked at the floor suggestively. "i don't know, you? at least that's what you'd want me to say; i don't even know what you look like" she laughed, implying that she didn't fancy anyone as much as it sounded so. and casually, millard just laughed.

next was jake who chose to be dared.

"kiss enoch" emma spoke, a devilish grin falling across her face. olive laughed at emma's dare, all whilst jake looked down at the floor in utter shock before turning around and looking back up. enoch was already closer than he had anticipated him to be.

the taller boy cupped jake's face in his hands and leaned in, their lips connecting, jake's lips soft whilst enoch's were rough. it was the perfect combination, like something new. jake inhaled deeply, experiencing a new feeling that was oddly satisfying to him.

"now you, horace" jake said, finishing with enoch as much as he strangely didn't want to.

"just kiss enoch again, jake, we all know you want to" horace chuckled before leaving with the rest of the teenagers.

"easy way for him to get out of a truth or dare, right?" jake smiled as enoch silenced him by pulling him closer for another kiss. one they both didn't realise they'd longed for.