Rubin and Pidge

Each of us in writing class had to write out either a character or a beginning of a story for someone to pick and write with.  I got:

Rubin and Pidge were the best of friends, but that was just the problem.  Both were too scared to become more.  For 50 long years, they said not a word about love.  They both died feeling sorrow and regret seeping into their bones.

* * *

Rubin and Pidge were sitting on the edge of a cliff with no one noticing they were there for the simple fact that they were dead.  It allowed them to watch the world unfold around them like they hadn't even died.  When they did die though, both were filled with sorrow and regret for not spilling their secret love for one another.  They lived with the feelings they had for one another for 50 years before they both died of a tragic accident where more people than they had died in.  Unbeknownst to each other though, both had planned to tell each other today about their feelings because they believed it was time.  But as they spent the day together looking out on the life below, they lost track of time and became lost in thoughts of each other.

But maybe they would say something tomorrow to each other event though they've been saying that for over 50 years now. . .

* * *