Adonis and Atticus: Snippet 7

They were preparing. All of them were. Windows were boarded up on houses and buildings. Food supplies was distributed evenly throughout everybody. The hunters were out most of the day catching new prey to last so that nobody had to go to their stash unless absolutely necessary. Resistance members currently in were training day and night with little to no break time in between for time to rest. Retired Resistance members were posted as guards outside houses and important places like the daycare and laundry area. Young mothers stayed inside with their older children who were not yet drafted while the younger ones where at the day care. Everyone was afraid to go out.

People were scared.

The seven members who had stumbled in from the Robot City were in critical condition. Blood transfusions had to be made, and the medical supplies and knowledge they had were from the olden world. It seemed as if they were all in a coma, but there is no way to tell if they are brain dead. All of their vitals were low, but it is still better than what it used to be.

Even with all of this, there has been no word on the others still inside. No new information from Adonis. Adonis' note had frightened Atticus to the core.

They know and they're coming.

Atticus slumped to the ground in his mother's house against a wall in the bathroom. He was shaking for the overload that his body was being put through. He had no idea how much more his body could handle, didn't know how much more anyone could handle.

He turned the knob to the shower and got in to wash the grim and dirt off of him. Today was the only day that anybody could rest. For a few hours at least.

"Atticus!" his mother called pounding on the door. "They've spotted something in the distance! Come quick!" Atticus jumped out the shower at his mother's words and threw on the clothes she had set aside for him. Running out of the house, he grabbed a shotgun and throwing knives to use incase it was the enemy.

As he was running, he saw other members who were also running towards the open field. Throwing themselves on the ground, they maneuvered themselves to where they could see and be hidden by the tall grass fields.

An old delivery truck was riding up in the distance. As it got closer, the Resistance members propped up their guns and were prepared to shoot. Atticus studied the vehicle, and his eyes became fixated on the robot in the passenger seat.

"Hold your fire! It's Adonis!" he shouted to his men. They lowered their weapons just as the truck pulled up. Adonis and another robot jumped out of the truck and ran to the back. Soon, the faces of the Resistance members on the inside popped up as they got out the bed of the truck.

"All of you go back to the square and bring them with you so that they may seek medical attention!" Atticus commanded. The members did as he said and ushered the others away. After they left, Adonis gestured for the other robot to get in the truck and drive away.

"I can't believe it," Atticus breathed out. "It's been so long since I last saw you."

"I know and I've missed you. I'm-" Adonis was cut off as an explosion went off in the distance.

"What was that?" Atticus asked with a bit of worry creeping into his voice.

"I wouldn't move if I were you," a voice boomed out from behind Atticus. He didn't move and heard an audible click of a gun behind his head.

Adonis' eyes widened and said the words, "Overlord sir."

***