Book 1 - Bella - Chapter One

1

                                                                   "Never Forget"

I never once regretted my decision to become a vampire. If I thought back, and sifted through my cloudy human memories, I could still recall knowing how it had to be from the moment I decided that I didn't want a life without Edward in it.

Edward fought with me tooth and nail in the beginning. As honorable a man as could ever exist, he'd refused to sentence me to eternal damnation. But now, he agreed with me wholeheartedly; my becoming a vampire was fated from the start. Even Alice saw it coming. She knew I would be part of the family someday. Her visions may normally be objective, and I may not know what else she saw while the fates wove their threads through my life's tapestry, but I know this much: I was destined to be Mrs. Edward Cullen.

Did I miss being human? Not as much as Rosalie. To this day, Rose would trade anything to be human again. Personally, I can't imagine trading my life for anything. What's really missing, the human experiences? I graduated from Forks High School ages ago. I married Edward in front of my family and half the town, and it remains the happiest day in my human memories. I experienced pregnancy, and childbirth. And yes, the childbirth part had been a little more –violent – than the average experience, but it brought me my angel, Renesmee. And no matter how fast she grew, she was still my little nudger.

No, I didn't miss out on any of the human experiences that a girl should experience before eventually growing old and dying – Edward had seen to that. And because of Charlie and Renee's support and love, I never had to go into hiding. Charlie accepted the change in me rather quickly, and Renee followed soon after. For someone who seemed clung to her youth the way my mother did, she fell into the role of grandma rather easily. Renesmee had wrapped my mother around her little finger, much like she did everyone else. Renesmee was truly a miracle, in every sense of the word.

At a time when I didn't think I would ever know the gift of motherhood, Renesmee came to me. And at a time when I should have died, I believe Renesmee helped me to be strong enough to endure the trial that should have destroyed me. My unrequited love for my unborn child kept me strong enough to fight, and Edward made me whole again. No one could ever love their husband and child the way I do. For that matter, I didn't think that I could love another person as much as I love Edward, until she came into our lives.

From the moment I realized I was pregnant, I vowed to protect my miracle at all costs. I defied the love of my life and the family I loved to ensure her existence. I knew they'd love her when they saw her, and boy, was I right: Renesmee didn't want or need for anything, thanks to the love of our entire family. How could I ever miss being human?

Renesmee, on the other hand, never really got to experience childhood. She played with the kids from the La Push reservation until she was biologically two years old. By three, she was the size of a sixteen year old, with the intellect of a grown woman. It scared me sometimes to watch, but thanks to Carlisle's endless research and the knowledge we gained from our last experience with the Volturi, I knew it would stop eventually.

And then there was Jacob; the wolf, the pup, my best friend. True, I wanted to murder him when he imprinted on my daughter but the truth was, he loved her more than he loved himself. He wanted nothing more than to make her happy and keep her safe. And when I was certain that Edward and I wouldn't see another day, Jacob was more than ready to run with her, as far as needed, to ensure her survival. I'd always love Jacob for that, and so would Edward.