There You Are

After a frantic call to Agent Barstow he was given her location and he sped off. She wasn't too far, just an hour drive or so. He didn't know if he should tell her what he knew. What Agent Barstow had told him about her feelings for him. He reached her doorstep and thought it best to keep the information to himself. After all, she was a married woman. He knocked a few times, but there was no answer. The door was open so he went in "Hello?" No one answered, but he pressed on. He saw a light on at the end of the hall, it was Gwen, asleep in her bed. Troy wasn't with her. "Gwen?"
"Steve?" she turned to face him. He laid next to her and she smiled,
"I can't believe you're really here."
"I'm here." He said.
She looked different, so sad and defeated.
"What's wrong, where's Troy?"
She took a deep breath, "I caught Troy sleeping with his assistant a while back. We signed the divorce papers last week." She started to cry, "What did I do wrong?"
"Nothing, you did everything right, kid."
"I tried so hard, for so long. I didn't even get the chance to throw him out, he left on his own. I feel disgusting."
Steve smiled, "You still look beautiful."
She sighed, "I am far from beautiful, even at my best. I look horrible Steve, you don't have to be nice. You can tell me I look like shit. Friends are allowed to do that."
"Woah, language."
"Sorry."
"You're lovely." He said, tucking her hair behind her ear. She curled up to him and he wrapped his arms around her. They stayed like that for a few minutes until she sat up.
"I'm okay, I think." she said.
"Just okay?"
"A-Okay." She laughed.
"I missed that."
"What?" she asked.
"Your laugh."
She smiled and twirled her hair around her fingers.
"Why are you so good to me?" she asked.
"I love you."
"I love you too, Steve."

"We should go out dancing. Would you like that?" he asked.
"I just want to stay here, with you. I don't really want to get dressed and socialize."
"C'mon, it'll be fun."
"I don't dance, Steve."
"What? What kind of girl doesn't dance?"
She pointed to herself, "This girl."
He huffed and looked at her with softness in his eyes, "I miss you." he said.
"I'm right here."
"No, you're not. This isn't you. Troy drove you a million miles away. But I'll get you back."
She squeezed his hand and he pulled her off the bed. They went out into the kitchen and Steve fixed them something to eat.
While Gwen was finishing up the dishes Steve wondered over to her record collection.
"You have some great stuff."
"Thanks. Most of it was my dads. He was into that old-timey music, like big band and jazz."
"Old timey, huh?" he said.
"Oh I mean, not that you're, well..I guess you are actually." He rolled his eyes and then put the needle on the record.
Billie Holiday: The Very Thought of You, started to play.

"This is one of my favorites." Gwen said.
"Mine too."
Steve held out his hand and motioned for her to join him for a dance in the living room.
"Steve, I told you I don't dance."
"Get over here, Gwen." He wasn't taking no for an answer.
She walked over and took his hand.
"I'll lead." He said.
She placed her head on his chest and they swayed to the soft tune. It was sweet and calm. The total opposite of their lives apart from each other. When they weren't together things were chaotic and they were both lonely. They both felt so loved in this embrace.
On the last note Steve dipped Gwen and she laughed, her smile lighting up her eyes.
"There you are." he said smiling.
Steve bent down and kissed her lips. When he pulled back, she pushed up onto her toes and their lips locked again.
"Oh Steve, I'm such a mess right now."
"I know. I'm not going anywhere."
------------
Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it💕