Start Again

Captain Rogers was set up with an apartment near S.H.I.E.L.D. Headquarters. It was a two bedroom, so Gwen set up there as well. On arrival Steve walked around a bit, just checking the place out. He stared at the appliances in the kitchen for a little too long. Gwen couldn't help but chuckle to herself.
"I'm going to go lay down if that's okay." She said.
"Of course, I can figure this out." He fidgeted with the microwave.
"What goes in here?"
"It's to heat your food." She said. He looked over at the stove.
"Well that does too, but this does it quicker." She opened the freezer, looks like they stocked it for them. She took out a frozen dinner and put it in the microwave. Steve watched through the window as the food spun.
"Don't get too close." Gwen said.
Steve put his hands up in defense like it was going to explode, "Why?"
"It sends out waves, can't be good for anyone right?" Gwen laughed.
"Yeah." He said, still staring at it.
"When it beeps, dinner is ready."
"Great, thanks."
Gwen walked towards the bedrooms, her bag in hand. She chose the smaller of the two rooms and settled in. She quickly fell asleep, leaving Steve to fend for himself.

When she woke up it was dark. The street lights were visible through the blinds, sending long stripes down the walls. She looked to her right, pushing her dark-brown hair out of her face. Steve was sleeping in the armchair next to the bed.
"Hey, Steve. Hey!"
He jerked his head up and looked her way.
"Why are you here? Everything okay?" She asked.
He sighed. "I couldn't get the microwave door open. Then it wouldn't stop beeping. I can hear it in my room, but not in here. So I stayed, Sorry."
Gwen laughed and so did Steve. "C'mon." She jumped out of bed and grabbed his hand. They walked into the kitchen and she grabbed her cell that she'd left on the counter. She called for a pizza and they both sat down on the couch in the living room.
"I'm sorry." He said.
"Hey, it's okay. I'm here to help, you will be fine. It's all new to you, so if you need help just ask."
"I just feel like I'm bothering you. You shouldn't have to look after me."
Gwen took a deep breath. She didn't want to make him feel that way so she took his hand and looked him in the eye.
"Steve, you don't make me feel like that. I am right where I want to be."
And she was, she told herself. Even though she initially thought differently, she really was glad to help.
------
It didn't take long for Steve to become acquainted with the newer technology. He decided to cook breakfast that Saturday. He thought the stove was simple enough to use. Gwen was still fast asleep, but suddenly awoke to the smoke alarm going off and Steve calling for her. She ran into the kitchen in just her underwear and a t-shirt.
"What happened!?" She asked, scrambling around the kitchen.
"I don't know what I did!" He yelled. She grabbed a paper plate and jumped onto the counter, fanning the alarm so it would turn off. She reached up and took out the battery.
"We can put that back in when you're done cooking." She turned to hop down and still wearing her socks, she slipped off the counter. Steve caught her in his arms.
"Careful!" He said. He caught her so fast she had to take a second to catch her breath. He held her as if she weighed nothing.
"Sorry." She said. "Thanks for that! I'm not always that clumsy." She looked down, noticing his hands on her bare thighs. He put her down in a huff muttering, "I'm sorry, oh gosh." She noticed the pinkish hue radiating from his cheeks before he turned away to continue cooking.
"It's okay Steve, I'm married." She said laughing, then headed back into the bedroom to get dressed.

When she came back he had breakfast on the table.
"This looks great Steve. No burnt bacon?"
"Wellll, I threw those pieces away, actually." He smiled awkwardly.
"So, you're married?"
"Yes. Sorry if I didn't tell you sooner. I don't really like talking about my personal life."
"It's fine, really. It makes sense to keep it to yourself. You don't know me, I don't know you. I understand. He doesn't mind that your here with me?"
"It's only for a few months, which isn't new to him. I am usually gone for long periods of time."
"Better man then me. If you were my girl, I'd want to be with you all the time."
She just smiled, then went to take a seat at the table.
He stood up as she sat down with him.
"You know, you don't have to do that Steve."
"What?" His brows furrowed.
"Stand up when I come in the room or when I'm taking a seat. Those gestures are long gone."
"It's polite to let the lady sit first." He said with a stern tone. "I can't just become a different person overnight!" He continued.
He seemed very angry at her statement.
"Hey." She said, placing her hand on his. "I'm not asking you to change, I'm sorry if I upset you."
"No, you didn't upset me. I'm just on edge. I'm feeling very overwhelmed." He said, lowering his head.
"I have an idea. Get your coat." She shot up. "Pack this to go." She said pointing to the food.
"You're very demanding Gwen." She stared at him for a second and said, "Don't forget the bacon....please?"
Steve laughed, "Yes m'am!" He liked that she was so direct with him.
--------
Heading into the Smithsonian Steve was taken aback. He saw all of the memorabilia from WWII and it felt so familiar. They even had a Captain America exhibit. He couldn't stop smiling, especially at Gwen.
"Thank you. This is exactly what I needed. I won't be long, I promise."
"I thought so. Take your time."
Three hours later they were headed back to the apartment. In the car Steve went on and on about the exhibit. About what they had right and laughed at things that were incorrect. He made sure to clear up any confusion or incorrect information. Gwen listened intently. She had always been a kind of history buff, especially on WWII. So it was nice to have him clear things up.
"I'm not going to change, you know.." He said. Gwen looked at him.
"I am me, I won't bend." He looked at her, expecting a fight.
"I know, Steve." He stared for a bit longer.
"What are you looking at?" She asked.
"I just expected an argument. You're so feisty! I never know."
Gwen just laughed. "Sorry to disappoint Rogers. Don't think I could win an argument with Captain America."
"I'm sure." He laughed.