12 [F] The Undoing of Ryder Burke

The Undoing of Ryder Burke

By: @clarifications

*For Mature readers: Rape. Depression and Other mental disorders

Summary:

Ryder Burke, a senior in Madison High, was known as the school slut. Popular, well known but until she accuses the two sport stars of rape.

Part 1: It is a month after the incident. Ryder struggles through school, dealing with bullying from her previous friends.

Part 2: The trial. Her case tears apart her life, bringing up realizations and tires previously unknown. Ryder's world spirals uncontrollably downwards, hope only a winking light in the distance. Because, "Do you know all the ways you can kill someone without stopping their heart?"

Part 3: After the trail. "In the end, it is never what you worry about that gets you". ~Chuck Palahniuk

Clique [Feminism]:

"Boys are boys, and Girls are sluts."

You see, a lot of rape case books really tend to romantize the struggle. They have someone to care for the victim (mostly of female gender), normally of male gender. The victim learns to trust  the opposite gender, they win the case, it turns out ok. I'm not criticizing the cliches, because sometimes this is what happens. The victims get the happy ending everyone deserves. But other times, a happy ending just isn't what happens.

Rant [Perspectives]:

Warning: Spoilers Included

Theres just something important about this book, with everyone's opinions voiced in a diffrent perspective. At times, overthinking what the book could possibly mean can lead you to an existential crisis.

I thought the main point of the book was emphasizing gender roles and stereotypes. Ryder slips into monologues, multiple times, about how boys are placed on a pedestal while girls are labeled "sluts and whores". A particular quote that I remember goes along the lines with "Boys are boys, and girls are sluts". Ryder also repeats the phrase "Sluts don't get to say no".

As much as I would like to say that isn't true, it is basically what the world believes. The examples of vulgar tweets are from actual law cases. And at times you have to wonder how are people so shallow, so ignorant.

But then you look at other books. Other cliche books, with the good boy, bad girl and b*tchy princess of the school. How many times have words such as "hoe", "slut" and "whore" been used by the "good girl"? Because thats all the "queen b*tch" is seen at in those books.

Then, you see the comments on "The Undoing of Blake Ryder". This book is to raise awareness for everyone, not just the victim. But then why are there so many comments directed to Mr. Stark, Georgia, Paloma, and even West. Let me quote some:

(Georgina:) "I don't get how people feel bas for her, her father didn't make her treat Ryder horribly or leak her nudes."

"F*CK YOU GEORGINA YOU DON'T HAVE ANY RIGHT TO BE SORRY"

(Georgina:) "B*tch F*ck off, you don't deserve forgiveness"

(Paloma:) "no she f*cking didn't that f*cking B*TCH i'm so PISSED"

(Paloma:) "B*TCH F*CK YOU"

(West:) "GTFO LEAVE."

So?

That is it isn't it. You don't see anyone else's perspective, only Ryder's. So why make assumptions? Because I bet if you saw it in anyone else's perspective, you would think of Ryder as every single detrimental label used in this book.

It makes you wonder, then what could you possibly do? Is it possible to go through life without judging a single person? Of course not, but then that is why you have to try.

Speak up for those who can't. Listen when no one else does. And know everyone's perspective before jumping to conclusions.