Chapter 38

Dream as if
you'll live forever,
Live as if
you'll die today

Four POV

As I leaned in closer to her, a tingling, electrifying feeling overcame me, and made my heart race with anxiety.

It to me a long time to work up the courage to tell her the truth about my father and his 'kind, selfless individual' facade. To tell her the truth about what happens behind closed doors.

But never did I think it would take months and months to work up to courage to kiss her. Hell, I haven't even told her I like her, yet. But I'm pretty sure kissing her was an obvious indication that I do.

As I stretch to wake myself up the next morning, it dawns on me that the events of last night were real. They actually happened in reality. Not in a dream. Not in some unrealistic world.

I kissed Tris.

A grin spreads across my lips as the fact embeds itself into my mind. Allowing me to think—to go back to that moment.

The way the moonlight reflected off the icy, blue of her eyes. How her hair flew off her shoulders in the wind.

Wow. I'm sounding so sappy right now.

I shake my head and decide to finally get up to get ready for the day. The ten minutes it takes me to get ready seem to all go by in one big blur, and I'm stepping out of my bedroom and waking down the small hallway before my brain catches up.

My eyes skim the room in front of me once I reach the living area to see if anyone is up yet. Zeke is sitting in the recliner watching Furious 7, Shauna is watching with it with him, her head on his shoulder. Christina is laying on the love seat with her legs hanging over the edge, and her phone held above her face.

Typical Christina.

Marlene is awake as well, standing in the small kitchen eating a blueberry muffin. Tris, Uriah, Lynn, and Will must all still be asleep. I'm surprised that Will isn't awake being that he's a morning person.

And, as if right on cue, Will walks through the front door. I guess he was awake, then.

He walks into the kitchen with a white box in his arms and I follow him. I stop at the bar and sit on one of the brown wooden stools instead of going into the small space.

"What's that?" I question, nodding to the box.

"I bought donuts." he says with a smile. "Half glazed and half chocolate. They're fresh too, so let them cool for a bit before grabbing one."

I nod my head and as I spin around in my seat to watch the movie playing on the television, Tris walks out of the small hallway on the opposite side of the room from where mine is.

Her hair is a little messy, with all of her hair pulled over to one side and the rest hanging in the back. She's wearing dark grey sweatpants and a loose white shirt that falls off her shoulder. It doesn't seem like she's wearing anything underneath the shirt and I catch a glimpse of her bare skin before I notice that she does, in fact, have a tank top on underneath.