Chapter 26

HI! SONGS FOR THIS CHAPTER hehe ^^ yes, songs
-In the Lonely hour – Sam Smith
-Walking in the wind – One Direction

Dedication to: Cokaholic :)

Evelyn's POV

"We're going to present the proofs to the Crown prosecution tomorrow, we estimate that they are largely enough to discharge you." Ms. Vergara genuinely told me.

She was the only attorney I wanted to see. She wasn't very pushy and she understood the real problems involving the media, my mother and me. The two others just wanted to follow my mother's orders, which were getting me out of the place, at any price, even if they had to stab me and tear the truth from my intestines.

"So I'll be free before the deadline?" my voice was laced with optimism, even though my brain scolded me for doing that. The contentment with being released would be much more amazing, if I did not expect it. The unexpected always gives more thrills than the expected.

Sadly, Ms. Vergara shook her head. She removed her glasses and looked straight into my eyes.

"Well, Miss Sethi, the administrative part is very complicated and the procedures, too. I can't promise you anything for tomorrow."

I couldn’t help but ducked my head down. I would spend more hours and maybe more days in the very public and dark place. In about fourteen hours, I would be treated like every other suspect. The simple thought of being stuck in a cage around other persons made my heart pound.

Since my arrest, I saw many people arrested for different reasons. They were immediately thrown into the common cells. I saw teenagers, adults and even elderly people who all looked pretty intimidating going into jail. I would be around them if I weren't allowed to stay out of the bars.

"It may take some time.” She admitted. Her stare softened, as my face turned darker. “I'm going to leave and try to find a way to spare you from the remand center," she put her glasses back on and started to gather her documents.

I had three attorneys who worked hard on my case. However, I somehow felt in the pit of my stomach that Ms.Vergara behaved differently. She was there, late in the evening to tell me the truth and to give me some comfort.

Since I met Patrick, a few hours ago, different emotions battled for dominance. I wished my hands could be free so I could let my rage out and hit his horrible face. He acted as if we still were together, as if we kept in contact for long months. But the worst remained when he assured I accepted to store his drugs in my apartment.

After our confrontation, Patrick - no John was sent into remand center. Since then, I did not utter any word to anyone. Therefore, I never expected anyone to be nice with me, as I only looked down, rage burning in my eyes. So, it felt strange when someone who was paid to work for me actually seemed to care.

"Well thanks," I muttered, looking down on my cuffed hand and my free one. Then, I glanced up to Ms. Vergara who stood up, ready to leave. A smile crept on her lips, which was meant for me. I still wondered why she was being so nice with me. "Why do you smile at me?"

It made her chuckle. She sat back on the chair, addressing me a larger smile.

"If I can't help you out of here, at least I can be nice. Everyone needs some affection after such a hard day."  She naturally admitted, which earned a large smile creeping on my lips. She was a perfect stranger to me. But that did not stop her presence through the day from being very helpful.