Chapter 21: Announcing Arrival

"He's in room 174 Shelby. He's gonna be fine," a nurse says to her as she walks into the hallway, all the guys from the truck and station outside the room.

          "He's gonna be fine Shelby," Luke says to his sister.

          "What happened?" she asks, looking through the window, hearing the monitors beep normally.

          "He went into a burning house to save a little girl. The house blew up. He managed to get her out and safe. He took most of the blow."

          She sighs, leaning her head against her brother's chest his arms wrapping around her. He kisses her forehead a couple of times before pulling away.

          "He suffered smoke inhalation, and he has patches of second-degree burns on his arms. He gave the little girl his coat while he was exposed."

          Shaking her head a little but smiling she walks into the room sitting down. She watches him, looking at his monitors and his wrapped arms. Braden asleep.

          "Mrs. Evans?" the doctor walking in.

          "Yes," she stands up, walking closer to him as not to wake Braden.

          "Your husband is going to be fine."

          "Thank you. Just the burns and smoke inhalation then?" Shelby asks.

          "Yes. As far as the smoke, there wasn't any damage. But as far as the burns, he's going to be hurting for a couple of weeks."

           Shelby laughs. "You clearly don't know him well. He'll be trying to go back to work next week. Thank you."

          "You're welcome."

           She moves the chair closer to his bed, her fingers against his sides since his arms are all bandaged up.

          "Hey," Braden smiles.

           Shelby smiles standing up, leaning over and kissing his forehead. "How do you feel?"

          "I'm fine."

           "Good," she hits his chest. "Don't do that shit."

          "Ow. I saved a little girls life."

          "I know that. I'm so proud of you, but you almost took my baby daddy's life," Shelby smiles.

          "What?"

          "I took a test when I got home."

          "You're, you're pregnant?"  

           Shelby smiles.

           Braden leans over and kisses her deeply. "Mm ow," Braden laughs leaning back.

          "You look like crap."

           "I love you."

          "I love you too," Shelby smiles, sliding his hand under her shirt and against her stomach.

           "I never thought it was going to happen." 

           "So did I," Shelby grins. "Now we can have ten."

          "Deal," Braden winks.

           "You need anything?"

           "No, I'm good."

           "Please be safer from now on."

          "I will," he kisses her softly.