Chapter 30: Filled With Worry

Braden comes home that afternoon, he sees Shelby sitting outside, Keanu running around, Shelby reading. He gets out of the truck, grabbing his duffel bag and walking up the steps.

          "What are you doing?" he smiles.

          "Relaxing like someone told me to," she smirks.

          Smiling, Braden walks over and sits on the bench with her, sliding his arm around her. He pulls her closer, kissing her temple, both watching Keanu dart a million ways across the lawn, chasing bugs.

          "He's insane," Braden laughs. "I'm taking him to work with me tomorrow."

          "You trained him," Shelby pats his cheek. "Are you coming with me to the doctor's tomorrow morning?"

          "Yep plan on it."

          "We can find out what it is tomorrow. Do you want to know?"

          "I do. We still have to put a room together."

          "You just want to know if you're having a girl."

          "Yeah," Braden laughs.

          "I'll go start dinner," she smiles, kissing his cheek and heading inside. Braden sits a little while longer, watching Keanu before whistling for the dog to follow him. He heads inside to find Shelby chopping up some vegetables.

          "What are you making?" Braden asks, pulling himself on the barstool.

          "Probably chicken and vegetables."

           "Want me to help? Are you feeling okay?"

          "Braden, I feel fine. I feel like I have felt any other day."

          "Okay," he nods, standing up and kissing her lips softly then walking away.

          Once she finishes cooking, Shelby makes both herself and Braden a plate and placing it on the table. Braden walking over and sitting down, beginning to eat. The dining room falls silent for a few moments, Shelby pushing a carrot around her plate.

          "I worry about you okay? I know you say you're fine but you going back to the hospital scares me."

           "I worry about me too. They have increased security and guards and cameras. But really, don't you think that if something were to happen to me, the safest place would be at a hospital? I'd end up there anyway, this just cuts out the drive," Shelby smiles.

          "But something did happen, a shooting babe."

          "And that could have happened anywhere. A bank, the station, our house."

          Finishing up their dinner about twenty minutes later, Braden stands up kissing her head. "Go take a bath or something. Finish your book. I got this down here."

          Smiling, Shelby gets up and heads upstairs to run the bath. She fills it up with bubbles, undresses and steps into the tub.

          "You want some company?" Braden asks, walking up to the bathroom approximately five minutes later.

          Shelby smiles. Getting undressed, Braden steps into the tub behind Shelby and moving his legs against hers, wrapping his arms around her.

          "Will you be upset if it's a boy?"

          "No, a healthy baby would be fine with me."

          "Okay."

          "We haven't thought about names."

          "You obviously have," she smiles, leaning her head against his shoulder.

          "What do you mean?"

          "Otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned it."

          "Well, maybe we should wait till we know what we are having? Deal?"

          "Landon and Raelyn," Shelby smiles.

          "I like them."

          "What were you thinking?"

          "Noah for a boy and Raelyn sounds good."

          "What was your girl's name?"

          "Kaley," he smiles, "but I like Raelyn. Do you like Noah?"

          "Yes," Shelby nods.