Chapter One

Obi-Wan Kenobi stared out the viewport window of his personal shuttle, deep in meditation.  The Unifying Force swirled and ebbed in his vision, stretching out into the stars beyond, weaving past and future alike into its universal fabric.  Out and below, the planet of Mandalore glistened like fresh-fallen snow, a fractal point of memory long divided by conflict. 

           Once, he knew, he had looked upon this very place with a different set of eyes; younger eyes, bluer eyes, happier eyes unburdened with the harsh realities of war.  He had been so naïve, then.  So willingly blind... How strange it was, he thought, that he could still see their light despite the darkness that had fallen over him... that they had remained so much the same even after everything had changed!  It was true, he realized, that some stars must have been born since then; that others, like himself, had been overcome by darkness.  Such was the nature of finite life, he knew, even for the brightest of stars.  But although they shifted, and faded, and formed anew, they always formed the same pattern - that of the dark and the light, locked in their eternal dance.  And always, time is there to connect them, bringing history back to the place where it began... The endless cycle of renewal and destruction, of beginnings and endings and life and death.  And so, he supposes, it makes sense that he has found himself back here again after so long, even if it is just to destroy his old self one last, final time. 

        Obi-Wan's thoughts were interrupted by the beeping of the holoprojector, its blue light drawing his gaze from the planet below.  Usually, a call from his Master would be nothing to be concerned about - his relations with Tyranus had always been civil enough, and his performance left little to be desired.  But today, he felt a certain apprehension as he strode to the projector pad, an uneasiness that he could not shake from his mind despite his considerable discipline.  Still, he had been the Count's apprentice long enough to know that he must not reveal his doubts.  Dooku was perceptive when it came to such matters, and being a master of manipulation himself, he was difficult to deceive.

           As Obi-Wan activated the projector, he was careful to keep his head bowed, a few wayward strands of auburn falling into his gaze.  The traditional gesture was one of respect, but today it gave him a few more precious moments to school his face into the proper obedience and calm before addressing Tyranus more directly.

          "Ah, Ben."  His old codename slid off his master's tongue with a flourish, a simple memory embellished with more meaning than it should have held. Surely he couldn't know... or did he?  Was this intentional, meant to rattle him? "I trust you have something to report."  One elegant white eyebrow raised expectantly beneath the dark folds of Tyranus' robe, serving both inquisition and judgement.  But what that judgement might be...

            "I do, Master.  The faction here that calls itself Deathwatch has been most cooperative, but they are a young movement, and hardly so bold as they claim..."  Kenobi stroked his beard thoughtfully, wondering how he should proceed.  I don't want him to think continued involvement here is worth it.  But how to convince him... "I do not think that there is enough resistance here to turn events to our liking.  Perhaps a planet with a weaker neutral stance would..."

           "No... I sense that Mandalore is the key.  A planet with such a violent past is sure to harbor dormant resentment, which will work to our favor.  Remember, Kenobi, that I wish to be directly involved as little as possible...  Appearances are most important if we are to rally more neutral systems to our cause."  His master's dark eyes narrowed dangerously, and Obi-Wan knew that he was bordering ever closer to the invisible line that had thus far remained unbroken.  But still, he had to try, because her life depended on it.

          "No government here lasts long, Master... I fear that even if we are successful, eventually we may have to intervene to keep it in our grasp.  Surely..."

          "Mandalore may take some effort to obtain.  However, if the Duchess Satine falls, it will go a long way in aiding our cause. Without her leadership, the Council of Neutral Systems will quickly crumble, and more and more worlds will become ripe for our taking."  Dooku's hologram flickered, then steadied again, the stars shining brightly through his transparent image.  And her name, spoken so easily, so damningly from his master's lips, traveling through space and time to haunt him once more... A shiver ran down Kenobi's spine, threatening to overtake his steely composure, but he soon clamped down on the impulse, and the memories were as quickly gone as they had occurred.

           "But Master..." Obi-Wan protested, only to be cut short once more by Dooku's holoimage.

           "Do not forget, my apprentice, that Sidious' plot depends upon the current balance."  The old man's voice was a clear reprimand, but he was not angry - at least not yet, Obi-Wan mused.  In fact, he sounded tired, Kenobi realized, and not just of their conversation; today was one of those rare instances where Obi-Wan could actually see the Count's age, where the façade between them crumbled and the almost grandfatherly bond that existed between them became evident.  Days like these, one saw an old man, and the youngest of his legacy, bonded by the whisper of a ghost, shared memory thick with sorrow.  Qui-Gon.  They never spoke of him; and yet he was there, always, the binding link between them...

           "If we are able to shift the war in our favor, Sidious will become more vulnerable - and that is when we will strike. Remember why you joined me, Obi-Wan..."  Dooku's voice was softer now, and Obi-Wan knew that he was thinking it, too.  Qui-Gon.  "...together, we can end this terrible war and seek justice for those lives he has destroyed."

             "Yes, Master," Kenobi answered, almost apologetically, "I will be more mindful."  But surely, there must be another way.  I cannot destroy her...

              "See to it that they are unaware of our influence in this matter.  I want no complications when it comes time to recruit more systems to our cause," Dooku reminded him, the stony façade returning in full force, "And keep in contact.  I expect full updates on your progress."  As the hologram flickered out at last, Kenobi found himself releasing a breath he wasn't even aware he had been holding - this whole ordeal had him deeply unsettled, and he still wasn't entirely sure why.  Some of it, of course, had to do with her, but there was something else, too, something elusive...  He would have to meditate on it later.  For now, he would do his duty.