Chapter 18

Kevin pov

On the ride back home, my parents seemed too quiet. Nikie had fallen asleep and had her head resting on my lap, with my arm at her side. She looked like an angel sleeping, my heart swelled just thinking about her in my bed last night. My parents were in a separate tent but dad trusted me and I had already told him we were going to wait until we graduated before doing anything. Just having her in my arms though had my wolf jumping with joy. She still didn't want me talking to her parents, on account that they didn't like my family.

The car was quiet and even the music from the radio didn't seem to change the mood. Something had been bothering them since last night, but I don't have any idea what it might be. Mom kept glancing at dad from time to time with a worried expression. I rubbed my hand back and forth on Nikie's arm. The sunlight was receding fast and we still had another hour to go. Most of the scenery was country sides and a couple of hills.

After dropping off Nikie, we headed home and I helped dad unpack. I carried the tents into the garage attic, until next year that we would return to the lake. I emptied the coolers and placed them on one side of the garage, while dad carried our bags inside. I pulled the truck into the garage and closed the garage door on my way inside.

"Kevin, come with me." Dad gestured for me to follow him, he looked worried.

I followed him into his office and closed the door. He sat down behind his desk, a troubled look in his face. I sat down in the chair in front of his desk.

"Dad, what's wrong?"

He looked up at me, "Kevin its about time I told you about the past and Angie." He took a deep breath and closed his eyes. "The previous alpha we had," he sighed. "He wanted to bond with Angie, even if he was alpha, he was forcing her to be with him. Unfortunately Angie was already in love with someone else and when he heard about it, he was angry."

I understood that when an alpha wanted to be with someone it was their right. It didn't mean it was right but those were the way things were. It was awful to think that you loved someone and were forced to give them up because the alpha of the pack wanted to claim them for themselves.

"He did something terrible one day and some of the pack turned against him. Many were killed, but he escaped that night and swore he would return for revenge and for her. That's why no one wanted Angie in the pack when she returned, they were afraid for themselves and their families. Before this happened though, Angie kept having dreams about that night,before it happened, like visions, and now she thinks Jessie is having dreams like that."

"Wait, what do you mean she's having dreams like that. Are you telling me that the previous alpha is back?"

"I'm not sure but we need to be ready if he is returning. I need you to look after Jessie, I don't think he is working alone. He's smart and will not take the chance of letting himself be seen. I'm going to look into the Malone's family background and into Gabriel's too. Until then I need you to keep an eye on her."

"But what would he want with Jessie?"

"We don't know if he knows about her but if he does he will use her to get to Angie. I'm going to be keeping an eye out in case he returns. Cain is the only other person who knows all the story and I'll let him know about Angie's suspicion. Please Kevin, just stay alert."

"I will. What happens if he does return?"

"I don't know son. Lets just hope he doesn't."

There was more to this story, I know it. At least he told me this much, no wonder my parents had been quiet on the ride home.

"Has Jessie been dreaming about it a lot?"

"Angie said its the third time she's woken up screaming. Angie always had the same dream and in the same location but Jessie's are always different. She doesn't remember them well but she does remember someone coming from the dark and reaching for her. Only this last one she said there was one figure in front of her and another grabbed her, so that is why I think he has someone helping him."