Chapter 1

"...'So on behalf of the Children's Foundation for Better Days we wish to thank George Taylor and his wonderful staff of associates at Shining Star Magazine.'"

Behind the podium that was centered on the large stage the man finished reading the letter he held in his hands. Dressed in an expensive suit that hung perfectly from his frame he was the perfect picture of a modern day businessman. His brown hair and smiling brown eyes made him look boyish but anyone who knew George Taylor knew he was a cunning businessman and whether he had to charm his way to it or fight tooth and nail for it he always got what he wanted.

"I'd like to take a moment to thank the woman who made the entire thing possible. For two months she worked on making our benefit for Children's Days a supreme success! Miss Margaret Christianson, come on up here," he smiled, clapping his hands for the woman who joined him on stage.

Margaret Christianson click-clacked her way to the podium and latched herself onto George's arm, a bright smile for all to see. Her skirt short and her blouse low the woman played up every asset she had, some of which she was still paying for.

"Thank you so much but it was nothing. The joy of seeing those children's faces as they played in the arena and the knowledge that they would return to a safe, warm building was more than enough of a repayment for me!"

With another bleach bright smile she returned to her seat, reluctantly releasing his arm as George Taylor, owner of The Shining Star Magazine, continued the monthly associate meeting.

"Onto further news, the Annual Charity Ball Tickets will be on sale the beginning of next week. This is for charity people, so let's buy our tickets as soon as possible. Now there have been rumors flying around that Shining Star will be buying out our competitor, Entertainment News. Let me say, once and for all, that this rumor is absolutely true. As of this morning talks have begun with the owner of Entertainment News and we expect a final sale by the end of the month."

The employees of Shining Star applauded, showing support for their magazine.

"Thank you, but this is a turn of events that will mean many changes for our magazine. We will have ensured our spot as the top entertainment magazine in the world and as a result we will be adding thirty pages, as well as a new section for fashion news. This is going to create several new openings in almost every department, which will be filled with the people joining us from Entertainment News. So lets get back to work and make this another great month for the new and improved Shining Star!"

Applause burst out again as George walked away from the podium and off the stage, pep talk over. Getting up from their seats the employee's filed out of the meeting room, a large auditorium located on the sixteenth floor of the Taylor Building.

Standing in the hallway, waiting for an elevator, one woman was quiet among the hubbub of her coworkers. Dressed in a simple plaid skirt of the fifties and a cream colored blouse she looked as though she belonged in the library, cataloging books, instead of working for the top entertainment magazine in the world.

Her bright copper red hair was pulled back tightly into a small bun as she chewed on her thumbnail, her thoughts flying beneath her calm exterior. Startled when the elevator arrived she squeezed in with the rest of the crowd and it rose, stopping at various floors to let people off. Getting off at the fortieth floor she was seated at her desk working when Margaret Christianson came in, almost an hour after the meeting had dispersed.

"What a great meeting!" she exclaimed to no one in particular. Sailing through the outer office into her own she continued to talk.

"Doing that benefit was such a great idea. Who knew helping those little twerps could give me a push in the right direction? And now I'm off to meet with George Taylor himself, a lunch date! So I'll need you to stay here until I get back, take care of everything; you know what to do. Wrap up the finishing touches on my notes for the meeting this afternoon and take care of that project I gave you. Oh and if anyone calls tell them I'm doing something really important. Can't have anyone thinking I don't work now can we?"

Orders given Margaret flew out of the inner office, coat on arm and purse in hand, past her secretary who had been listening while typing the notes for this afternoons meeting with the board. Pausing for a moment she glanced at her boss as she sailed past. With a sigh she picked up the phone and dialed a number.

"Hi Kat. I can't make it to lunch today."

"What? Why not? We have reservations with Peter at Chez Grace," her friend whined.

"I know but I have to stay in the office today so I can't meet you."

"That witch did it again, didn't she? When are you going to stand up to her, Christine? It's bad enough you let her take all the credit for that kids benefit thing, but now you're going to let her take your lunchtime too? Get a backbone girl!"

Christine smiled. "I do have a backbone."

"Yeah? Well it's got the strength of a wet noodle!"

Laughing she said goodbye to her friend and hung up the phone, returning to her work. The irony of her life wasn't lost on the woman. Twenty-seven years old, single, and working as a secretary was not the life her parents had pictured for her. Christine Yarra, adopted daughter of the man whose paper business funded half of the banks in the country, was supposed to have a fairy tale life of parties and beaus, not be working long hours as an unappreciated secretary.

Her birth parents, Christopher and Rachel Yarra, had died in a train wreck when she was almost four years old; Christine hardly remembered them. She had been adopted by the Johansson's, Pierre and Angelina, and was brought up as their own daughter. The wealthy couple had never hid from her the fact that she was adopted, allowing her to keep her own name; answering any question she asked them.

To Christine, Pierre and Angelina were her parents in every way that mattered. She'd had as normal a childhood as was possible for the daughter of a rich family, her parents striving to keep her life as private as possible.

When she had graduated from college with a degree in Business Media Planning Christine had taken a job at Shining Star magazine with thoughts of one day taking over the position of the woman she worked for. It hadn't taken long for her to realize that that day would never come. While Christine did all the work, the glory went to Margaret.

As time had passed, however, she realized that it didn't matter to her. Doing the work was why she had entered the job force to begin with. Had the prestige mattered to her she would simply have to help people make the connection between her and her father, King of all that is paper. Let Margaret take the praise and glory for her work, Christine was happy with what she did.

If only she could help other people see that as well.