Chapter 10

Sitting in the large den, along with several other men, George found it difficult to keep his mind on the conversation, it kept straying to the ten-minute meeting he'd held with Entertainment News. Essentially telling them that his offer was 'take it or leave it' and that nothing would be changed. It was a big risk, one he was taking on the word of a woman who wouldn't give him a reason. He was playing with fire and George prayed that he didn't get burned.

"Son? Did you hear me?"

Snapping his attention back to the group he tried to grin. "Sorry. I was a few miles away for a moment. What were you saying?"

Pierre Johansson smiled at the young man. George, along with the entire Taylor family, had been invited to a small weekend gathering at the Johansson mansion. Mostly businessmen, partners in a few of the ventures Pierre had taken on, it was an informal business meeting.

"We were talking about your magazine. Aren't you the ones who are buying out the Entertainment News?"

"Yes, actually. We're in the end stages of it now. Monday will make everything official."

"Good! I'm glad it worked out for you. It was a good move to buy out a dying business like that. Shows a good head on those shoulders of yours."

"Wait... what?" He was confused. "Dying? What do you mean dying?"

Seeing the confusion on the young mans face Pierre realized he'd made a big mistake. "Oh dear. Christine is not going to like me for this one. I tell you when my daughter makes a promise she keeps it till she dies. How I ever managed to raise such a moral daughter in this world is beyond me."

The men smiled. They all knew enough of Pierre's daughter to know how true his words were.

"Ok, since I already spilled the biggest bean I may as well tell you the rest."

George sat in his seat, listening to Pierre tell him what his own advisors hadn't been able to tell him, his temper rising with each passing word. When Pierre finished George excused himself and left the den to find his secretary, he had a few things to say to her. The first servant he ran across told him that the woman he sought was in the kitchen working with Poppette. Armed with directions George found his way to the kitchen and saw her working on a cake, the confection on the counter between them.

"When were you going to tell me?" he demanded, his voice filled with anger.

Startled Christine jumped and looked up at him standing before her. "George? What is it, what's wrong?"

"Were you ever going to tell me?" he demanded again. She looked at him in confusion, setting down her piping bag to give him her full attention. "Entertainment News is going bankrupt! You knew and you let me keep going with the deal. I could have gotten that blasted magazine for half the money I have to spend now!"

He was furious.

"I know you're mad but I gave my word that I wouldn't say anything," she said softly, trying to calm him down.