Chapter 2: Bruised

I wake up to a bang on my front door. I look at the clock. 1:37am?! What the hell!? I leave my room and open the door. "What do you want?" I ask, still half asleep. "Fuck you bitch." I open my eyes as wide as they can go at this time of day, and make out Jame. 

And his fist.

I slowly open my eyes and find myself in my bed. I look at the clock. 10:00am. Whoa. Crazy dream. I get out of bed, and get instant pain. I walk over to my mirror, and see my face bruised. I'm for certain going to have a black eye. I lift up my shirt and see the same on my stomach. Considering the pain I'm having just standing, I'm guessing my legs are bad too. I flop back down on my bed. I grab my phone and am about to call Mel, when there was a knock on the door. Deciding there is no way I can get up, and it might be...Jame... I just yell. "WHO IS IT?!" "IT'S ME!" I hear Toby yell. "COME ON IN! I'M UPSTAIRS!" I yell. I hear the door open, and soon Toby is opening my bedroom door. His mouth falls open at the sight of me. "What happened?!" He exclaims, running over to my side. "I hooked up with this guy a few days ago." I start. "He kept saying we were dating, but that's not what I wanted. So yesterday I went to his house and told him that." Toby places his hand on mine. "Last night, He came to my house." I stop, hoping Toby realizes what happened then. Toby stands up. "Just be glad he didn't have a knife." He says, and lifts up his shirt, revealing a long scar on the left side of his torso. "Toby..." I whisper. "She was drunk. First time I think. I needed to take her home. She wasn't too happy." Toby comes back over beside me. This time, I place my hand on his. "Is there anything I can get you?" He asks, playing with my fingers. "We'll I'm kinda craving some ice cream..." I say, letting my voice trail off. Toby laughs lightly. "I'll be back." He says, then kisses a bruise on my cheek. Toby slowly lets go of my hand, and leaves the room. I sit up, and slowly walk to my mirror. My long blonde hair that reaches my mid-back looked greasy and tattered. My green eyes, dark and sad. My lip is swollen, and the rest of me covered in either bruises or bright red blotches. I sigh, and pull up a stool. I sit down and start braiding my hair. I look over at the picture beside the mirror. It's a picture of me and my mom when I was little. She was braiding my hair in this house. I've lived in this house for my whole life, and my mom left it in her will for me. Dad walked out on all of us when I was 7. It was hard, but we dealt with it.

I finish braiding my hair and head back over to my bed. "Well hello beautiful." Toby says as he walks in the room with a tub of ice cream and l two spoons. I smile. "Nice lip ya got there too." Toby says, pointing to my swollen lip. "Ha ha." I laugh sarcastically. Toby passes me a spoon and takes the lid off the tub. "Mmmm. Cookie dough." I say after takin got first bite. "Forgot I had this stuff." I say taking a new spoonful. The second the spoon goes in my mouth, my phone starts ringing. I swallow, and answer. "Hey Mel." I croak out. "Oh my god! You sound terrible!" She exclaims. "Good morning to you too." I joke. "Are you okay? Do you need me to come over there? Do you need John?" Melissa kept rambling questions so I had to interrupt her. "Mel, calm down. I'm fine. I'm in good hands." I say sticking my tongue out at Toby. "Is Jame there with you?" She asks. "Uh, yeah. Sure. Listen I gotta go. Bye!" I hang up before Melissa can ask anymore questions. I throw my phone on my bed and continue eating my ice cream with my new friend.

* * *

"Okay, I think I can walk now. I need to face Jame anyway." Toby gives me a reassuring look. "First I just want to cover these up." I motion to all the bruises. "Are you sure you're going to be alright though?" Toby asks. "Yeah. I don't think he'll do anything with everyone else there." I answer, heading to my bathroom. "Where are you going?" Toby asks, following me. "I'm going to my brother's club. Jame works there." I answer. "Do you need help covering yourself up?" Toby asks. "Oh yeah, do you mind?" I ask. Toby shakes his head. I go to my closet and pick out an outfit, and place it on my bed. "Could you turn?" I ask Toby. He nods and heads into the bathroom. I slip into the strapless dress. "Okay you can come out now. Toby does and I lift up my hair. "Could you zip me up?" I ask. I don't see Toby's expression, but he zips me up, and kisses the back of my neck. I feel my cheeks blush. "Okay, so what do we have to cover?"he asks. I go to the mirror. "We'll everything on my face really. Then my shoulders and arms. Is there any on my back?" I ask. "No. But your legs are bruised. I look down and see a few. "Okay. Let's do this poo."

* * *

I take a deep breath and look in the mirror. "Wow. We did a good job." I say turning to look at Toby. "You look beautiful." He says. I feel my cheeks redden. "Good luck." He says, and kisses my forehead.