Chapter Six(Thea): my name is Donald

"What the heck!? Who are you?" I questioned as the stranger stared at me.

"Okay, don't freak out. Your brother let me in and I just wanted to talk," the stranger said way too fast. I seriously don't think they breathed the whole time.

I repeated myself in disbelief, "Who are you?"

The stranger then identified themselves, "Hi, Thea. It is very nice to meet you. My name is Donald. I am James' older brother, he is a new student at the school you attend."

He reached his hand out, I assume to shake mine but I just stared at him.

"Okay, James' older brother, you did not explain why you are in my room when I am not," I said, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Right! Sorry. I am here because I called James' school and asked who the top of the class was. I know that sounds kind of creepy but hold on just hear me out," he started.

"Wait, wait, wait. You called my school and they TOLD YOU that I was top of the class? Who does that? What if you're some serial killer," I spat at him.

"Thea, I am not a serial killer. If you let me explain, I will tell you why I am here."

Feeling defeated, I sighed and motioned for him to sit down on the pink bean bag, while I sat down on the blue one.

"Okay. Again, I am so sorry that this is weird. It was never my intention. I wanted to reach out to you to ask if you could help my brother James this year. It is his senior year and while I am not sure if you have met him yet or not, he really is a smart kid. Sometimes he just gets in with the wrong crowd. I want him to hang out with people who make the right decisions and put school first. I know this is a small town and reputations can start fast so I wanted to reach out to whoever is top of his class and ask them to help guide James down the right road," Donald said with a sigh.

I stared at him in disbelief, "Let me get this right, you want me to befriend your brother because he gets in with the wrong crowd?"

"Well, yes, actually. You see James has always been a bit of a thrill seeker. You have to understand; you have a little brother, too."

I stared at him, contemplating telling him I'm already kind of friends with James.

I smirked at him, looking out the window and seeing a wide eyed James staring at us.

"What's so funny?" he questioned, turning around to look at the window.

"Oh geez. I take it you've already met him," he said, looking a bit embarrassed.

"Yes, I have," I laughed, "he had to give me a ride to school today because my car wouldn't start this morning," I said, waving at a wide eyed James.

"Well, then this is awkward. Please don't tell him what I said. I don't want him to know I actually care about him," he said, facing me with bright cheeks.

I laughed, "Don't worry, I won't. But you know, he is going to ask why you were in my room."

"Oh yeah, if he asks just tell him I came over to help with your car."

He started heading for my door, "Wait," I said to him. "Why didn't I meet you on Friday?"

"I live with my fiancé an hour away, I just wanted to stop by and make sure everything was going good here," he smiled.

"Oh, well I hope you have a great day!" and with that, he was gone.

~

Me:

I am so sorry! I won't be able to come into work today. My car wouldn't start this morning and my mom needed her car.

I closed my phone, heading downstairs for dinner. Hopping off the last step on the stairs, I was warmly greeted with the smell of spaghetti. Smiling to myself, I turned into the kitchen and saw my mom talking to someone on the phone.

Walking past her, I grabbed myself a plate and put a heaping scoop of noodles on my plate and smothered them in sauce.

"Hold on just one second," my mother said into the phone, "Pumpkin, I have to make a conference call, so you can eat in your room if you'd like."

I walked up and gave her a kiss on the cheek, "I love you, mom," I whispered, walking into the living room.

Sam was sitting there already watching Netlfix. I sat down on the couch next to him.

"What're we watching?" I asked.

"Blacklist," he responded, numbly. I looked over at him. He was staring at the TV, not blinking, blindly feeding himself his food.

"You okay there buddy?" I asked with a light laugh.

"Yeah, yeah great. Shhhh Ressler is about to kick some fictional ass."

I stifled a laugh. Oh how I love this boy.