CHAPTER TWO

Elizabeth wasn't sure when exactly she had nodded off. All she knew was that she found herself still on her couch in the morning, being woken up by the sound of three crisp knocks on the door.

She dragged herself off the couch and over towards the door. She opened it swiftly.

"Oh my gosh did I wake you up?" Carolines face laced with guilt upon seeing Elizabeth. 'Do I really look that bad?' She thought.

"Don't worry, it's fine." Elizabeth replied, inviting the girl in. She was carrying a plate of brownies which she set down on the kitchen counter.

"I brought these as a house warming gift." She explained.

Elizabeth carefully peeled back the plastic wrap around it and plucked two pieces off the plate, handing one to Caroline. The two bit into their brownies, sighing with content.

"These are delicious." Liz praised, covering the plate back up and storing it in the fridge.

After that, the two girls began to talk. Elizabeth learned that Caroline was attending the same uni as her. The blonde was going into her second year, however.

They exchanged numbers and Caroline was on her way. She said she had to pick up some friends from the airport.

The soft thud of the door left Elizabeth all alone and she stared out the large windows. The view of sydney was amazing. She could see people walking the streets down below.

• • •

"Come on girls keep it going!" A husky female voice shouted at the large group of girls vigorously running around the field. Elizabeth was one of those girls, in short black shorts and knee high socks. Her cleats dug into the ground, kicking up dirt as she pushed herself to run faster.

Classes didn't start until the following Monday, but the school was holding try outs for various teams today. Naturally, she decided to try out for soccer.

"This is insane." A girl huffed next to her, clearly out of breath. Elizabeth silently agreed with her, keeping her eyes ahead. In a matter of minutes the girls passed the coach for the 15th time, signaling the end of their last lap. They all rushed to the bleachers where their bags were.

As she took large, impatient sips from her water bottle, she thought, this is going to be a long day.

And she was right. By the time she got home, it was already eight-thirty pm. The pony tail she threw her hair in earlier was a mess and her clothes clung to her body from the amount of sweat that resulted from being in a constant state of motion.

She jumped as the elevator doors dinged open, interrupting her as she tried to unlock her door. Her and Caroline were unintentionally beginning to make coming home at the same time a habit.

"Woah, you're a mess!" She exclaimed once she laid eyes on the drippy Elizabeth.

"Gee, thanks." Liz laughed, turning to face the blonde. She was carrying two grocery bags filled with what seemed to be bags of chips and possibly vegemite.

Elizabeth made a face. She wasn't too fond of vegemite.

"Sorry." Caroline responded casually, striding down the hall and to her own door. "By the way, those friends I picked up from the airport earlier today," she started, "I'm having them over tonight. Any minute, actually." Elizabeth nodded, not quite understanding the relevance of this information. "We'll try to keep it down."

At that, both girls disappeared into their respective apartments, shutting the door behind them. She immediately walked past the living room and into her bedroom, where her bathroom was. She threw her gym bag onto the tiled floor, grabbing a towel.

After getting undressed, she took her contacts out, exposing tired grey eyes.

She stepped into the shower. The hot water felt good against her aching muscles. She began to feel anxious as she thought about the team. Her hopefully future coach announced at the end of try outs that the results would be posted in the athletic hallway on Monday, the first day of class.

As if on cue, her phone began to ring the second she stepped out of the shower. Drying her hands off on her towel, she answered the phone.

"Lizzy we miss you so much, how's life on your own so far?" Her mother yelled into the phone all at once. Liz let out a small chuckle.

"Well hello to you too, mum." She replied, taking out a pair of soft grey sweatpants and a black tank top. She began to tell her mother about Caroline as she brushed her hair.

She decided to withhold from telling her about try outs, since her mother was always over enthusiastic about everything. She didn't want her to make a big deal out of it, only to not make the team.

"Honey, what's that noise?" Her mum interrupted their conversation to inquire.

She wasn't sure what Caroline's idea of "trying to keep it down" was, but it certainly wasn't what Elizabeth had in mind. Someone was going to town on what Liz assumed to be an electric guitar. It was so strange.

"It's just Caroline." She explained. "She said she was having some friends over." Liz could feel her mothers disapproval from the other end of the line.

"I'm sure she doesn't-" She was about to jump to her new neighbors defense when she heard a crashing noise from hallway.

"Elizabeth?" Her mother asked. She sounded concerned.

"I'll... call you back." She quickly hung up the phone, pacing towards the door. She pulled it open, and her jaw dropped at the sight.

"You have to be kidding me."

. . .

Annnnddd chapter two finally = complete.
Sorry it was a little boring:(((
Consider it build up for chapter three. That's when our story really starts.

If you like it so far, feel free to vote on this chapter! It'll let me know you want more, and I'll update quicker.

Thanks for reading! <3