8

Chapter 8

"NINE!" Verlander yelled, feeding another ball in the machine. I swung at the ball and watched it fly right back into the net. 

"TEN!" I laughed, throwing my hands in the air, smiling brightly. 

"You cheated!" He smiled, turning off the machine as I answered my ringing phone. 

"Hello?" I sighed, placing the bat and my helmet back. 

"Nellie? It's Stephen Adams from Chicago, we need you over here as soon as possible. Today during practice, our young third baseman Bryant said he heard something pop and he's arm's been dead since then... We can't find anything so, protocol is to call you in..." He gulped and I cleared my throat. 

"I'll be there by this afternoon!" I sighed before saying goodbye and hanging up. 

"Where you going?" Justin smiled and I rolled my eyes. 

"Wrigley!" I hissed and and he laughed, crossing his arms. 

"Thank you, when I pitch tonight, I'll be throwing for you!" He smiled, patting my back and I laughed, nodding my head. 

"While I'm trying to fix a Cub, I'll be rooting for you!" I sighed, leading him out of my med room and back into my spacious office. I pulled on my black Detroit jacket, threw my bag over my shoulder, and grabbed my mug. Justing helped me grab all of my stuff as I hurried out of my office and into the elevator. "Good luck!" I smiled, as he handed me my laptop. "Just think of it as throwing with your dad in your backyard! It's nothing more that!" I sighed and he nodded. 

"Thank you!" He smiled as the elevator doors started to close. "Have fun!" He chirped and I just smiled as the elevator went down. 

When I got back to my Detroit apartment, I quickly changed out of my Detroit attire and into a pair of black cropped Nike leggings, a white Nike dri-fit t-shirt, and pulled on a black Nike vapor jacket. I slipped on my white Nike roshe runs with a black swoosh and packed my clothes, laptop, and my little things into my black Nike backpack. I swung the backpack over my shoulder, grabbed my black Kate Spade purse, and made my way out the door and into the Uber waiting to take me to the airport.