Candice (Encounter) VII

* Pic is of the town :)

                                                           ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄

Candice got up and made her bed, fluffing up her cushions and smoothing down the bedspread. She hated it when her room was untidy. After a nice hot shower, Candice hurried back to her room and shut her curtains, picking out some fresh underwear and a bra, and slipping them on. Her hand lingered on the lyre in her drawer, and she paused, stroking the satiny wood. Something about the instrument made her feel different - almost special - somehow. She touched the strings lightly and they sang softly under her fingertips, chiming ethereally. She shut the drawer slowly, regretful that she didn't have the time to spend figuring out that mystery. There were more pressing things to do that day. 

I love Christmas shopping! And Boxing Day shopping, too, of course!

She grinned. Mum always spoilt them rotten on Boxing Day - it was the sale day of the year, and she couldn't wait to get some new clothes. She scanned through the hangers, and picked out a light blue chambray shirt, soft cream cashmere cardigan, a pair of faded blue skinny jeans, and tall brown leather boots with a matching tote. Perfect!

She quickly dried her hair, and put a little anti frizz serum into the ends before running a curling iron through the ends to really enhance her curls. A little foundation, mascara, blush, and lip balm, and she was ready. She paused in front of her full length mirror and frowned.

Something's missing.

She opened her jewelry cabinet and smiled.

Hah! Those pearl earrings Dad got me last Christmas, they're perfect...

She matched them with a pearl bracelet, and dropped her purse into her tote before spritzing on a little Giorgio Armani perfume and racing downstairs.

                                                           ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄

After picking at her breakfast of cereal, fruit, and yogurt, Candice smiled half-heartedly at Mum.

"Sorry, Mum. I'm kind of not feeling that hungry today."

"Honey, you're got to eat," Mum worried, seeing that she'd hardly touched her food.

"I know, I will," she promised with a smile. "It's just too early for me right now."

"Oh, okay, that's fine," Mum reassured, kissing her forehead as she scooped up her plate. "We'll have lunch at Mavis & Co., I'm sure we'll all be starving by then!"

"Yeah, sounds good." Candice smiled back, a hollow feeling in her stomach. 

No, no, no...

                                                           ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄

Rosa giggled and laughed as she helped Candice with the breakfast dishes, slotting them into the dishwasher while Candice rinsed.

"Careful, Rosa, don't drop it!" She warned, her voice rising a little as Rosa waved her Mum's favorite salad bowl over her head.

CRASH!

"Nooooooo!" Rosa started crying, and ran away down the hall.

"Mum!"

"What's wrong, honey?"

Mum stopped in the doorway.

"Oh. I see." Her eyes welled up with tears and she sniffed a little as she surveyed the damage. Shattered pieces of milk glass lay all over the kitchen floor. She took a deep breath and sighed.