Candice (School) XXVI

❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄

The snow melted in Lykos’s hair, rivulets of water running down the sides of his face and disappearing into the neck of his shirt.

“You going to let me in, or what?” 

She opened the shutters wider and he vaulted onto the windowsill with feline grace, his boots quiet on the floorboards. She felt her heart rate spike dangerously, the shock of the Corybantes’ appearance and Lykos’ interruption making her hands shake. 

“Are you alright?” he asked quietly, touching her shoulder in concern. She covered her resulting shiver with a faint smile, turning away. “Yeah, I’m fine. I just… um…”

She debated whether to tell him the truth or not. He spoke before she could decide.

“So, you want to tell me who those men were?”

She sighed, giving up.

What’s the point in lying to him anyway?

She raised a pale eyebrow.

“Have you heard of the Corybantes?”

                                                     ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄

Half an hour later and she was snuggled under covers, her thin body shivering from the cold. Lykos sprawled in her striped chair, watching her in worry.

“Are you sure you’re up to this? I don’t know if you should be summoning ancient warriors and playing with magic lyres.”

“I don’t really have much of a choice,” she protested.

“Well, at least promise me you’re still eating like I told you?”

She looked away. “I try… I eat some…”

She trailed off. He glared at her, seeming to not realize how fierce he looked. She watched him with bated breath, her heart beating fast.

He is so… raw. So vital and alive...

He was walking across the room and out the bedroom door before she could collect her wits. She sat bolt upright, wishing she could call after him, but knowing that if she did, Mum would come and investigate.

Please, please don’t get caught…

                                                     ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄

Five minutes later he was back, shutting her door with his elbow as he juggled two enormous plates of beef stew. 

“Eat.”

His tone brooked no argument. She reluctantly picked up the spoon and sipped on the fragrant broth. Her stomach growled like a starving bear, and she tried to control herself as she quickly scooped up another spoonful, eyes widening with hunger as the flavors exploded on her tongue.

“Woah, slow down. You’ll make yourself sick if you eat too fast,” he cautioned, touching her arm. A delicious shiver crawled up her skin, and this time she couldn’t hide it. His eyes were piercing as he watched her for a moment, before forcing himself to look away and eat from his own bowl.

“Mmmmph,” he mumbled. “Your mother is a good cook.”

She smiled, making herself chew properly.

Maybe the Corybantes have a point, she thought, enjoying the rich stew. If I’m part of a bigger picture, maybe it is selfish for me to be sick…