13

Tyler laid in his bed, thinking. It had been a few days since the hospital and Josh wasn't getting any better. It worried him, he had to stop thinking. Tyler walked down the stairs to see his mom on the phone in the kitchen. He walked out heading to the garage. Tyler wanted to busy himself in some way.

"...He doesn't talk to me..maybe not anyone. Only Josh.", His mom whispered on the phone seeing Tyler walk outside. Tyler looks exhausted and despondent.

"I've never asked you for extra..but we need it now, as soon as possible...", Kelly stated, watching Tyler through the window.

-
Saturday

Tyler sat on Josh's bed reading to the boy. Josh's breathing shallower than before. He pauses when he hears a soft knock on Josh's door. It opens showing Isabel, Josh's student.

"Isabel?", Josh whispered.

"Hi..", her voice and body shy.

Tyler stands up offering her the book. She takes it and sits down next to Josh, reading where he left off, she stumbles on words here and there but continues. Josh smiles softly at her.

"Who's been working with you?", Josh asked.

Isabel looks shyly behind her, Tyler smiles looking from Isabel to Josh. Josh shakes his head smiling. Isabel continues to read.

-
Afternoon

Tyler drives back home seeing his dad's car parked in the front. He's slightly confused, but part him feels he knows why he's there.

He walks inside, but no ones there. He walks to the kitchen seeing them sitting outside on the patio. Tyler opens the door, Kelly's gaze at the him. "Why don't you come sit with us.", Kelly suggests in a not so suggestive manner.

Tyler sits down hesitant, "What are you doing here?", Tyler asks.

"He wants to talk to you.", Kelly states.

"About what?", Tyler questions.

"You have two parents, we're both here for you even-"

"-even if where not here for each other anymore.", Chris finished as he looked over at Kelly. Tyler looks to his dad, nodding to show he is listening.

"I want to do this, so please let me.", Chris held out a check. Tyler takes it, looking at the writing. His eyes widening at the amount.

"Thank you, Dad. So so so much.", Tyler chokes out between tears.

-
Monday

Josh notices Brendon, and Zack. They're standing in the doorway of Josh's bedroom. Tyler is in the corner sleeping on a couch, the house nurse is in another corner reading a book.

"Don't wake, Tyler.", Josh whispers.

Both boys tiptoed inside his room, standing on either side of his hospital bed.

"Do i look scary?", Josh asks, coughing as he laughed.

"Not too bad.", Zack smiles small.

"You alright?", Brendon asked.

"Things could be better.", Josh smiles sweetly at the dumb question.

"We thought you'd be asleep..", Brendon shifts awkwardly at the silence.

"I don't know what to say either.", Josh says making them feel less tense. Zack hands him an envelope. "What's this?", he asks.

"It's for the book drive. Tyler told us about it and we just wanted to give a little something.", Zack smiled.

"We told everyone at school. Everyone gave something.", Brendon added smiling as Josh grabbed his and Zack's hands. He closes his eyes, as tears threaten to spill out. He silently thanks them squeezing their hands.