chapter nine

"Zinnia, please wake up." I whispered to her. I prayed loudly so that God would hear me better. "Olubunmi, please save my Olubunmi." I begged. The doctors continued to shock her body, making her body jump up and down. I watched from outside, the horror show of my love's death. She's too young, only 21. I need her, we all need her.

I could hear the nurses talking to her, her not responding and electricity running ramped through her body. "Please don't go Zinnia." I whispered to myself. She was still dead, she's been gone for about thirty minutes. Zharia is just now getting here along with Donna. "What happened? What's going on?" Zharia shouted, tears ran down her face. I just looked at my the ground trying to hold mine back. Donna looked like a lost child as she watched the doctors and nurses crowded around Zinnia. She placed her hand on the glass, "Wake up, fluffy, please wake up." She spoke softly as tears streamed down her face to the ground.

"This is all my fault," I said to everyone,  "I stressed her and now she's gone." My voice shivered. The doctor came out of Zinnia's room, he looked disappointed but we know what he's going to say. "We know she's dead just leave us alone," Zharia whined. "Zinnia is in a coma. This simple overdose turned into a stressed-drug related coma. She is expected to wake up in a couple of weeks maybe." He lighten the mood but it still felt grey. "Thank you," I said trying to shoo him off.

Zharia and Donna stayed as long as Donna could stand Zharia's crying. She took her home and is staying with her. I on the other hand couldn't help but stay with her. My Olubunmi, how did I let you slip through the cracks? I continuously asked myself.  I stared at her for a while. Thinking, wondering about her. My flower is slowly withering away and all I had to do was water her. "I love you Zinnia." I say as if she will say it back. I took my phone out and texted Zharia "water her flowers" she sent back an "okay." I looked back up at her.

"Remember our first date?" I asked. I waited a few seconds as if she said yes. "You kept picking the shrimp off my plate and I got the whipped cream from your milkshake on my nose." I laughed causing me to cry loudly. "I'm so so so sorry, Zinnia. I never meant to hurt you, I just wanted our future to be something worth living for. I just wanted us, you to be happy. Please just please wake up." I cried on to her bed. Her hand moved on top of mine; my heart dropped. I held it, waiting for her to grasp it and she did. She was responding to things. That's good right?

I climbed into the hospital bed and held her as I cried. I cried a lot but not as much she must've over the years. Those flowers, they must've saved her for a while but it was too late, they couldn't save her this time. "I love you Olubunmi." I whisper to her. I went to sleep, holding her maybe this one last time.

Please wake up, Olubunmi.