Chapter 2

As soon as the trio had entered the warmly lit Gryffindor  common room they were approached by Seamus Finnegan and Dean Thomas who were wearing matching grins.
Harry glanced at them warily, as he sat down on the squidgy armchair by the crackling fire, usually anything that made Seamus that excited exploded.
Harry who was in between Ron and Hermione whilst Dean and Seamus were on the side closest to the fire decided not to question it. Hermione immediately pulled a huge book from her bag and Ron casually put his feet up in front of the fire. They were all surrounding the burning embers and there was a comfortable hum of chatter all blurred into one, on going sound.
" Guess what!" Seamus said almost bouncing out of his chair in excitement. " We're off to see the Holly Head Harpies vs the Chuldley cannons in the holidays!"
Most of his sentence was uninterpretable because of his thick accent and the speed of his announcement. He was flushed with happiness and with every word he spoke his voice got higher until he was barley even talking.
Dean, who at the time had been smiling affectionately at the boy sat next to him, explained to the others, what his roommate was trying to say, " We got tickets for the 20th of December its going to be epic."
" Blimey mate! Wow, your so lucky!" Ron exclaimed and as he moved the light shine on his auburn hair.
Meanwhile Hermione had been looking sceptically at the boys around her and finally deciding to join the conversation, closed the book she had been pouring over and said," the twentieth?" They all looked her and nodded in unison. " It can't be not in this weather the players would freeze!"
Dean looked at her in horror and whispered in a betrayed voice, " Hermione, you never ever cancel Quidditch."
Hermione rolled her eyes and said looking at the fire," honestly why do boys care so much about Quidditch!"
Now it wasn't only Dean looking offended but Ron's ears were turning maroon and Harry thought best to intervene.
Throughout the entire evening he had been attempting to block out the idea of another lonely Christmas but with all the talk of people's plans he had been constantly reminded of the uncomfortable weight in his stomach and the prickling behind his eyes.
Turning to Seamus he said, trying to sound light hearted, "Tell us all about it when you get back"
Seamus nodded and getting Harry's point he tried to change the topic, " who wants to play exploding snap?"

As the evening continued Harry watched and joined in with the multiple games of Wizards chess Exploding snap, even managing to win a few games.
As he watched his friends talk and gamble he noticed the way that Dean looked at Seamus and then blushed, and then how Seamus would casually rest his hand on Dean's knee. They didn't seem to realise that they did it, especially not that it had been noticed. Harry then wondered what it would be like to have that, one person that he could always trust and rely on. Someone who would never judge him and love his insecurities the way he never could. Thinking back, all Harry had ever had was Cho Chang and that haven't ended well, there had never been a spark let alone fireworks.
Suddenly he was jerked out of his thoughts by a cry is dismay from Ron who apparently had just lost another game of snap to Dean.
"Fine I give up!" He all but shouted at him.
Dean only laughed an high-fived a ginning Seamus.
"I'll beat him next time!" Ron said confidently to Hermione his cheeks red with excursion.
"Sure you will." Hermione said, rolling her eyes and continued reading.
A scilence appeared and suddenly Dean spoke, "what are you all up to for Christmas then?"
Harry flinched minutely and Ron looked away guiltily so Hermione once again looked up and explained their plans, attempting to make them seem mundane and dull.
" I'm sorry Harry mate." Dean said sympathetically. He looked at Seamus and they made eye contact.
Eventually, " Yeah have fun with that one!" Seamus said shuddering in disgust.
"Who?" Harry said looking between them but neither would catch his eye.
" Haven't you heard? Your not the only one staying this year" Seamus mumbled looking down. " Malfoy is too."

Thanks for reading, sorry for not updating in a while!
Chari xxx