Chapter 4

***picture of Selena***

Chapter 4:

Minutes seemed to last for hours as the lady was doing Layla's make-up and hair. Layla never really was one who liked to get all dolled up. She was more comfortable in her wolf form than in her human form, so she didn't spend the time trying to dress up. She would rather be hunting or running through the forest than to be standing there feeling vulnerable and exposed.

She looked over to her mother and wondered how she was able to be so calm and collected after that man had looked at her like that, knowing that they were supposedly going to get married. Just the thought of that made Layla shudder.

"Hold still or I'm going to mess up," the lady snapped at her.

Layla mumbled, but obeyed. She wanted it to be done already so she could get up and stretch. Her butt felt as if it was going numb from sitting in one place for so long.

The lady stopped messing with Layla's hair and walked in front of her, studying her. She scrunched up her eyebrows before saying, "You are done. You can look now."

Layla scoffed at her and quickly stood up, feeling her stiff joints protest at first. She stretched a little and then did as the lady had suggested, she looked in the mirror. The girl staring back at her didn't look like her own reflection. Her long, straight black hair was shiny and smooth. It was tied into a side braid that had a little red flower clipped onto the end of it which reached a couple of inches below her shoulders. Her eyes were different to her; the lashes looked longer and darker, there was actual eyeliner and a hint of eye shadow, and somehow all of that seemed to make her green eyes look even brighter.

Her eyes roamed over her new look, stopped at her dark red lips. Layla never wore any color on her lips because she didn't want to draw attention to them. Her lips were fuller than any of the other girls in her own pack and they made her self-conscious. Now that this lady had put lipstick on them, they stood out even more. She felt like grabbing a napkin and smearing it all off at that moment until she felt a gentle hand rest on her shoulder.

"You look beautiful, Layla. You should dress up more often. It looks really good on you," Selena said in a soft voice, a grin spreading across her face.

Layla turned to face her mother and shook her head before wrapping her arms around Selena's waist in a tight embrace. She felt tears in the back of her eyes threatening to come out, but she pushed them back and straightened herself up to hold a strong composure.

Thoughts came flooding into her mind to the last time she was called beautiful. Shawn had been sitting next to her on a bench under the stars. He had lightly ran his fingers over her cheek, making her stare straight into his eyes as he told her. Layla's heart gave a little squeeze at that thought. He really wasn't that bad. He was actually really sweet when he wanted to be. Am I ever going to see him again? I can't believe I was mad at him right before we got attacked. I never really gave him a chance to tell me his side of the story. Maybe I was just overreacting.

"Are you ready for the celebration?" the lady asked, snapping Layla out of her thoughts.

"Sure. Let's do this thing," Layla replied in a cold tone, all emotions going still.

******

Logan was seated at a table with his girlfriend, Callie, and some of their friends. They were in the grand building that they used for all celebrations. The ceilings were tall with lots of different flashing lights shining down. There was red silk strung along the walls and draped over the tables. There was a large marble dance floor in the middle of the room, as well as a large stage in the front. One of the pack members, Clay Patzer, was being the deejay for the night and was already setting up the equipment.