Prologue

Blood pooled on the ground as I coughed harshly, the red liquid sweeping past my tongue, leaving a bitter, copper aftertaste.

Through streaming eyes, I stared at my tormentor, silently wondering what I had done to deserve this.

Muddy brown hair obstructed my vision and a pair of evil electric blue eyes came into view with them, snarling at me.

"You fucking bitch." He whispered nastily in my ear, sending startling chills up my spine.

I flinched as a freezing cold hand crept up my neck and nestled in my hair, before sharply pulling it back.

"Look at me when I'm talking to you nerd!" He shrieked.

I slowly lifted my gaze from the wall in front of me and set them on his, my panting ragged and painful.

His eyes flickered with surprise for a millisecond, before hardening again.

My voice, low and raspy, from the constant strangling, croaked out,
" Beat me up all you like,but look me in the eye as you strike. Let's see how tough you are then."

Behind him, I heard his mates gasp and growl at my sudden confidence.

Heck, I couldn't believe I said it myself!

The villains hand retreated from my hair and my throat, his bodily weight lifted off mine,allowing me to take deeper breaths, my lungs screaming for oxygen.

"Brian, I'll finish her off." Growled Max from the back of the foursome, coming forward.

"No, we'll finish her another time." Was the hesitant reply.
"But.."
"I said another time, damn it!"

His voice echoed in the dark alley, and the henchmen shrank back.

Stalking into the light of the busy streets of Manhattan, Brian paused and looked back at me, slightly cringing. It was barely noticeable, possibly only from the angle that I was at, but I saw it, and he knew I saw.
Brian sighed and regained his composure,"We'll be back bitch, just watch it, I'll be back." He whispered, his tone as biting as the wind whipping around me.

And with that bitter farewell he was gone, his four shadows slinking along behind him.

Groaning in relief, I closed my eyes and let the numbness take over me.

All mistakes are entirely mine!
Ciao, Darlin's!!!