Chapter 4

Ashley

We had just put the cake batter in the oven when Bryan came downstairs. He was wearing black denims and a blue front open shirt with a tee inside. I smiled at him. He sat down on the counter then lifted himself up and went towards the fridge.

Everybody gets high sometimes, you know. What else can we do whe-

My phone was ringing. Meghan jumped from her seat and ran to pick it up. Father had called to ask if Edward was alright. I told him he was and informed him that I was at Bryan's and might be late.

I turned towards the kitchen and opened up the oven. The cake was baked!! Wow, it rhymed. Bryan loves chocolate cakes and I had made it for him. We saved it for dessert after dinner.

Meghan had gone to her room to finish her homework and I grabbed the opportunity to ask Bryan about his parents' divorce.

"Hey, are you okay with your parents getting separated?" I started.

"I don't know, but it's their decision so it must be right."

"And how's Meghan keeping up?"

"She's fine. She doesn't even know the actual reason. And it's better that she doesn't know... at least for now."

"Look here, Bryan. I know that it's hard for you. I know that you are so much attached to both your father and mother that it's difficult leaving one and staying with another. But you are a champion and you must fight. If you want to go to Pennsylvania with your father, it's okay-" although I don't want you to go "-it's entirely your choice."

"I know." He forced a smile. I put my hand on his shoulder and patted trying to bestow some courage.

He is strong, I know. And he will be able to keep up I'm sure.

Sighing, I put the water on the stove, waiting for it to boil. Then I put pasta in it. All this while Bryan was sitting on the platform of the kitchen and watching me very closely as if thinking something. Then suddenly he said, "You would make a great wife."

" Oh really?! Thank you, Bryan. By the way for whom?" I asked raising my right eyebrow.

"I mean... for anyone... whoever becomes your... husband." he looked embarrassed, searching for words.

I smiled but he did not respond. He got off the table and went in the backyard. He looks so cute when he is shy or embarrassed. He goes all pink in the face. I haven't seen a boy getting embarrassed in the way Bryan does. Others usually end up getting angry and scolding anyone who tries to talk.

My dish was ready so I put it in a bowl, covered it with a lid and placed it on the table.

I was rather sure Bryan would have his 'orange ball' in his hand and would be throwing it towards the basket. I knew his habits well.

I brought a chair from inside and sat down.

"I knew you would be out here." I said.

"You know me too well. I think I will have to change my favourite haunts." he smiled.

"Try me. I will find you, wherever you hide."

"Oh really?!"

"Yupp!"

After a moment of thinking something I said, "Will you be with me forever, Bryan? I mean, I want us to stay in touch and be friends like this forever, wherever we may be." He sighed, and turned towards me. He looked quite intimidating, towering above me. He put his hand on my head and shuffled my hair. It was a nice feeling. It felt like someone would always be watching my back. Someone would always be there by my side. And I wanted that someone to be Bryan. Nobody knows me better than him. And I know we will always be best of friends.

"Yes, dear. I will. Always."

"Sorry, there is s-so much going on in m-my mind that... I get out of the way.. Of course you will be there for me. Where else can you go? And also I won't let you get away. At least not that easily." I smiled blinking back tears.

"Ahh!! How stupid of me! I forgot to tell you that your mother called. She said she would be coming home today. Well actually, it was supposed to be a surprise for you and Meghan, but I told you so... it isn't a surprise... not anymore. And she asked me to stay tonight. But I have to..."

"She asked you to stay... But why? And how did she know you're here?" he looked aghast.

"Meghan told her... But why are you so... shocked?"

"Pardon my manners," he said feeling guilty. "So you were saying something?"

"Yeah, I was saying that your mother's offer was quite appealing but I have to go. You know my father, he gets all worried."

"So you don't want to stay?" he asked, staring his shoes.

"Look Bryan, I would have loved to stay but I can't. You understand, right?"

"OK! It's your wish entirely." and he carried on throwing his ball towards the basket but never through it.

"You know I would have liked it if you would have stayed." he said without looking towards me.

I felt a pang in my stomach. Like someone clutched and twisted it too hard. I thought if I should stay or not. And I knew what I should do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Another chapter... Yet a small one... Sorry to have kept you waiting... I hope you like it...

I don't have much to say... You know what you have to do...

VOTE. COMMENT. SHARE.

Yes, that's right! And add it your reading lists... Pretty please!!

Thankyou.

PS- The ringtone, as many of you may have heard, was Cold Water by Justin Bieber!

PSS- Dedication to the most awesome friend... I love reading his comments... !! Thank you

Live. Love. Laugh. (And vote 😉)

Love,
Anshara.❤