Chapter 7

Ashley

"Hello, Dad?" I said.

"Yes dear. What is it?" Dad replied.

"I want to stay at Bryan's tonight. Hope you don't mind?" I was unsure about this. Dad has this habit of worrying about me a lot and I didn't want that to happen. Since Edward's habits, I was the only hope of him.

"Um... Will you be okay?"

"Yeah, Dad!"

"Okay! Wish granted." He said imitating Santa Claus, and then hung up with a hearty laugh. I smiled too. I didn't tell anyone that I was staying tonight and no one heard my conversation with Dad because I was talking outside the house, in the driveway where my car was parked. I was happy but I was more stressed about my nightmares. I mean, I wanted to be happy but I just couldn't push the dream out of my head. My brain, it seems, has created a separate space for these nightmares and it kept playing and replaying it in front of my eyes whenever I wanted to be happy. My heart ached seeing Nardy and it was still hard to believe that he wasn't with us, here.

I was entering the house again when I felt someone grab my shoulders with both hands. I looked up. It was Bryan.

"Watch your step, or you'll bump into someone." he said.

I tried to smile pleasantly but it came out to be a timid one so I shrugged my shoulders.

"What is it, Ash?" Bryan asked me with such politeness that I couldn't stop the tears from welling up in my eyes. He must have sensed and read my expressions that something was bothering me. I tried to speak but there was a lump in my throat which prevented me. I looked into his eyes and he just carried me to his room closing the door behind us.

He made me sit on the feathery soft bed and then sat down beside me. He waited patiently for me to begin. But I just couldn't speak. My voice wasn't getting any way to move out. My throat ached. Bryan held my ice cold hand keeping it warm by rubbing it continuously. It made me a little comfortable.

"What is it, Ashley? Tell me." he said rather softly.

"Oh, Bryan!!" I burst out, throwing my arms around his neck. He put his hands lightly around my waist.

"It's okay, sweetie. You can cry for as long as you like. I'm right here beside you." he comforted. When my sobbing became light and just my breaths could be heard, Bryan pulled my arms from around his neck and held both my hands once again.

"I miss him so much. He was such—" I sobbed "—a good friend of mine." I didn't need to explain whom I was talking about. He could very well understand me.

"I miss him too, baby. But I don't think crying will help you get him back. His body maybe gone, his soul maybe gone but he is present with us in our hearts."

"I don't want him back. I know he's gone and can never return. I also want to remember him in peace. It's just that these nightmares–"

"Nightmares??" he asked, shocked and cut me in between.

"Umm... Yes." I was feeling guilty of not telling Bryan about any of my nightmares before. It was my fault. If I would have told him before I wouldn't be sitting here and crying. I just didn't want Bryan to get upset. But now it was time. With tears in my eyes I took a deep breath and said, "You see, I have been getting nightmares about Nardy's death. They're really horrible and...creepy." Another sob and I burst out again. This time it was all to myself, no hugging Bryan.

"And, what do you see?" he asked raising his eyebrow.

"I see Nardy on the school terrace and he's got some papers in his hands. I am also on the terrace with him. And two policemen are there," I shook my head babbling everything out, "and Nardy...he's trying to jump but he doesn't want to...and I see that he's scared and there is fear in his eyes. And I don't know how he just stumbles down the terrace where you all were standing and there's so much blood—" I took a deep breath.