Chapter 23

"Max!" Fang yelled after me. I ignored him. I ran until I hit the woods in the front of our neighborhood. If you go far enough you hit a tree that is extremely wide with a place to hide in the tree.

I ran there and hid. Hopefully, Fang didn't follow. Sitting down, I put my head in my hands and cried. He couldn't be leaving. He doesn't even know.  

The crunching of leaves didn't make me look up, what did was the hand on my shoulder. "Max, I'm sorry." 

"No, you are not. If you were, you wouldn't be leaving." I sobbed.

He gave a sad sigh and sat down next to me. "I want to, but want to serve. I am sorry." 

I gritted my teeth and turned to Fang. "I love you! You do not understand why I don't want you to!" Fang looked taken back.

"You- you love me?" He asked. 

"Yes!" I cried, can't he just understand. 

Fang sat down next to me. "I don't need to, you know." 

Turning to Fang, I sniffled. "You wouldn't?" 

Shaking his head, he looked down at the ground. "If it means you are happy, then yeah."  I turned to face him and wrapped my arms around his neck. Burying my face in his face I lightly cried. "You know, I have hardly seen you cry." 

I let go and looked at him. "Idiot." I punched his shoulder. 

"Ow," he grumbled. "That hurt a bit."

I scoffed, "Girls can punch." 

"I know they can," he gave a small laugh.  

We sat there for a bit, just me leaning on his shoulder. After a while, he started to get up.

I have him a confused look. "Where are you going?"

He gave a smile. "We," he corrected, "are going someone."

"Where?" 

"It's a surprise." 

Fang grabbed my hand and started to lead me out of the forest. We got back to his house and got into his car.  We drove for a bit before pulling up onto a gravel road.

Looking at Fang, I questioned again. "No, not telling you." 

The road turned and I could see a beautiful barn. "Wow." I breathed. On the right side of the barn, there was a huge field with many horses roaming around.

"My grandparents own this barn. We come here a lot. I wanted to bring you so we can ride."  Fang pulled the car over once we got to the front. He turned to me, "Ready?" He asked. 

I smiled. "Yes."

Edited: 7.10.17