Chapter 10 - Sunday, 30th March - After lunch, waiting to get ready

Sunday, 30th March - After lunch, waiting until it's time to get ready

My Sunday started early. Even before Joan and Michelle came into my room, I had already gotten up. It was foreseen, as I had slept for ten hours last night. But in my defence, I needed to replace two lost days of sleep.

When I noticed I still had twenty minutes to kill before having to start going after my morning obligations, I sat on the floor in front of my bedroom door. As much as seven was too early for me, the rest of the castle already seemed to be up for hours. The door which led to the hall remains always closed when we have visitors, besides having two extra guards full time. However, it's still beside my siblings' rooms and in the direction of my parents' one.

Even without opening the slightest crack, I could easily hear the servants' steps going from one place to another and small comments about fireplaces, sheets and guests they exchanged in whispers, thinking no one could hear them. My door is thick, but the lock is old and I could hear the whole buzz. Even when I can't be part of it, it's always fun.

When my maids finally came through the secret passage, the first thing that took over Joan's expression was panic. Soon after, relief.

"What is Your Highness doing there?" She asked, coming to help me get up, even if I didn't need it.

"Trying to scare you two, of course," I answered, dismissing the hand she offered me.

Joan sighed and joined Michelle, who was making my bed. I patted my pyjamas and walked towards Atticus to encourage him to get up.

If I were him, I'd stay there for the rest of the day, just observing while I laid there.

"Is my mother already up?" I asked when Michelle walked in my direction with my robe.

"Your Majesty is in the Blue Dining Room as of this moment, Your Highness," she said as she slid it on my arms. "Would you like me to call her?"

"Oh," I let go of her, shrugging. "No, it's fine. She needs to be at breakfast."

Michelle just nodded her head once, going to do her next chore.

After a couple minutes, every heavy curtain gave way to the sunlight. Before they could completely expose me, I hid in the corner near the fireplace. Atticus, sensing my anxiety, joined me.

"And my brother?" I asked. "Could he look after my dog for me?" I crouched down to pet him and he licked my arm a few times in appreciation.

"I believe he is occupied, Your Highness," Joan answered, picking up my bag which hadn't been unpacked yet. "But Klinghoffer said he'd take care of him."

That was news to me, Ben hadn't told me anything. "Oh, is that right?"

"Yes." Joan smiled, stopping right in front of me.