Prologue

The soft cries of the newborn baby filled the small hospital room. It was a bitter cold February afternoon; there was frost on the ground outside. A doctor smiled as he wrapped the pink-faced baby girl in a soft, swaddling blanket. He carefully handed her to the tired mother who was eagerly waiting to hold the miracle that she pained through so much to see.

"What would you like to name her?" The doctor asked.

Emma Winston looked at her daughter admiringly. "I'm going to call her Annie," she whispered. The doctor nodded and wrote it down on a piece of paper.

Just then, the baby's father walked in the room. He was holding a small boy's hand. "Dallas, this is your little sister", he said, seeming somewhat annoyed.

The boy named Dallas shuffled in, bewildered. He was only three years old, and confused at the sight of the small bundle of blankets his mother held. 

"Come look at her, Dally," his mother said quietly. Dallas walked over to the hospital bed, and gasped when he saw Annie's small, delicate face. He reluctantly reached over to touch her. His mom nodded and smiled. "Just be careful."

Dally's small hand touched Annie's nose. He looked at her lovingly. There was already an unbreakable bond that nobody could deny.

They would never think about how far that love would have to take them one day.

"Dallas that's your baby sister."

Dallas smiled. "Sister."